cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MP Navigator Stopped Working (MX870)

jealkon
Apprentice

Running Windows7, 64 bit Oper System

Canon MX870

Scanning was not an issue prior to a few days ago. No new software or programs have been installed.

Went to scan a document and scanning looked like it was working, then it greyed out and received error message: Canon MP Navigator EX has stopped working.

Searched internet for solutions and tried them. Nothing works. I've gone as far to un-install all Canon products and utilities, even went into registry and searched and removed everything I thought I could related to Canon.

Still receive error. What do I do now?

Guess I've pretty much stumped the panal since there's been no response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jealkon,

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C: ).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

4.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

5.  The folder should have 2 folders that start with PIXMA MX870 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

6.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello jealkon.

For testing purposes, please try to temporarily disable any firewall or anti-spyware programs on the computer to see if this will allow the program to run properly.

Also, if you have a different user account on the computer, try using or creating a different account to try and narrow down the cause of the error.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Previously tried each of your suggestions and also tried this again. Stll does not work. I actually tried launching under the other three profiles on my PC and well a creating a new one.

Hi jealkon,

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C: ).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

4.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

5.  The folder should have 2 folders that start with PIXMA MX870 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

6.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

Thanks so much, there was one additional file. SDC330Twain that was int folder. Put that on desktop, rebooted and scanning appears to be working.

Consider yourself a genius because no one has been able to solve the issue

My twain_32 folder only has one folder MX430seris and one document wiatwain.ds

what do I need to do?

thats exactly whats supposed to be there. Canon will actually help by guiding you through a download of latest drivers and software. but if that doesn't work they'll tell you something is wrong with the computer and to call your manufacturer, who of course will send you right back to Canon. Im probably going to end up buying a new printer/scanner - and it won't be a Canon.

Running Windows 7, 64 bit

C:\Windows\twain_32\MX870 series_001E8F96F0F4 contains: _SETSCN_ dated 12/14/2013. This was probably due to my reinstalling my MX870 from the original CD.

C:\Windows\twain_32\MX870 series contains about 64 files dating prior to 1/7/11.

wiatwain.ds is dated 7/13/11

I moved a folder "omcam" to the desktop. Only the file "cecuvc.ds" appeared on the desktop.

I deleted the empty folder "omcam"

I restarted windows.

This did not enable MP Navigator

Did I miss a step?

I have a Pixma MG8120 and this worked fine. I didn't even have to reboot.

My MG2120 has the same issue.  Tried everything in these posts and spent 2 hours with tech support.  

I'm a senior level QA Analyst by trade and this MP Navigator is junk.  Another IT professional was on these posts and said he is going back to HP.  Guess I'll be along shortly.

Too bad.  The hardware seems OK.  The software never shoud have been released.

Announcements