cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MP Navigator Stopped Working (MX870)

jealkon
Apprentice

Running Windows7, 64 bit Oper System

Canon MX870

Scanning was not an issue prior to a few days ago. No new software or programs have been installed.

Went to scan a document and scanning looked like it was working, then it greyed out and received error message: Canon MP Navigator EX has stopped working.

Searched internet for solutions and tried them. Nothing works. I've gone as far to un-install all Canon products and utilities, even went into registry and searched and removed everything I thought I could related to Canon.

Still receive error. What do I do now?

Guess I've pretty much stumped the panal since there's been no response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi jealkon,

There may be a third party scanner driver interfering with MP navigator.  Please try the following:

1.  Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.

2.  On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk (C: ).

3.  Click the down arrow beside Windows to open the folder

4.  Highlight the twain_32 folder.

5.  The folder should have 2 folders that start with PIXMA MX870 and a file called wiatwain.ds.  Any other folders or files should be dragged to the desktop. 

6.  Reboot the computer and try scanning again.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

Hi rafirondon,

Actually, even though the steps indicate Windows 7, I just read the steps provided by Michael above and they would also apply to Windows Vista.  As this is one of the most common causes of this error I would recommend trying these steps and see if they work.  If not, I would recommend going into the Control Panel via the Start menu, click User Accounts, then create a new Administrator account.  Reboot the computer and log into the new account, then see if the same error occurs from within the new account.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your advice. I just tried all of  your suggestions and still getting the same error message. I followed the instructions posted above and also I did what you said and created another admin account.

I don't know what else to do.

rjmeagle
Apprentice

I have a MX882 running on an HP Elitebook 8770W running on Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit with SP 1. I have tried all the recommended solutions provided herein to no avail including creating a new profile/user, uninstalling/reinstalling MP Navigator et al. When I created a new user, the problem went away at first, but shortly thereafter the "stopped working" error reappeared.

I am an IT Professional and have recommended and used the Canon Pixma/MX series in various locations within my company. Until now, I had a high regard for these models, but I have quickly soured on this.

Canon really needs to address this issue. I am left with no recourse, but to start using HP products, which I have done in the past. Gave Canon a shot and now am not certain it was a good idea.

Of course, a satisfactory resolution to this would go a long way to re-establishing my confidence in Canon. For now, I will research other scanners since I am "dead in the water" with my laptop and Canon.

mrswould
Apprentice

So I found a super back alley way to access my scans! Even though I still get the box that says " Canon MP Navigator Stopped Working (MX870)" I was finding that I could trick my scanner as though it was scanning a picture but the files were to large but today I found out that all my files have been saved in file. THis is how to access them>>>>

1. c:

2.users

3."choose your username"

4. My Pictures

5.MP Navigator EX

inside the "MP Navigator EX" I found dated folders form all of the files that I though never scanned into the computer!

I hope this helps someone!

You're right!! This is just too bizarre. I put a shortcut of the Navigator folder on my desktop so I can find my scanned docs easily and move them. But this is just a work around - until I can get a new printer/scanner. Thanks for passing this along.

your welcome 🙂

The earlier posts on tricking the MP and getting the scan via Pictures worked for me as a short term solution for 1 document, but still can't resolve MP Nav. stopped working problem despite trying everything on all these previous posts.

My MX870 worked perfectly for a couple of years on the wireless network and all of a sudden this week, I could not scanned with the MP Navigator giving an error message " Cannot start the MP Navigator EX. Check the following points ............"  

My laptop runs on Windows 7 Pro. After several days of trying & reloading the drivers & Canon softawares, I discovered the problem might be due to some incompatibility of the MP Navigator with some Windows updates. The problem was completely resolved through the following steps

1. Highlight the MP Navigator icon on the desktop 

2. Right click the mouse

3. Select "Properties"

4. Select "Compatibility"

5. Under the "Compatibility mode" choose/tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

This works for me and it has been running fine for the last two days 

tcusumano
Apprentice

I experience the same issue on my win7 64bit computer and spent several days searching the web reading this forum and trying suggested fixes. I had tried the twain_32 folder, the removal of any MSN files technique, reinstalling and still could not get it to work. Short of one suggestion of a corrupted profile and attempting to do a recover on it I decided to start systematically removing apps like Dropbox, Google Drive and online backup software (MyPCBackup) I had. What lead me to look at these type apps was a call into tech support where they asked me to remove the Google Drive to see if that would fix it. Well on my removal of the backup software I had the MX Navigator starting working. I since reinstalled Dropbox and everything still working as expected.

I have a MX870 printer and the version of the navigator software is 3.1.

FYI here is an oddity prior to removal of my apps if I attempted to start  the Navigator software over and over around the 8th time it would start.

Wow after 3 hours of trial and error, uninstall, reinstall, restart...I took your advise and uninstalled MYPC Backup and MP Nav 3.1 w Windows 7, USA works again!  change compatibility to Windows7. Turned off Malware, AVG.

Announcements