cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG5550 won't print correctly even after cartridge change

blackart
Apprentice

Hello, 

I have a MG5550, I changed the cartridges recently and I performed 3 cleanings, 1 deep cleaning and it won't print correctly still. Do you have any idea what is wrong with it and how can I make it work? 

Thank you

20181031_090737.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

PDIT
Contributor

There is a partial blockage in the pigment plack printhead (large black cartridge). If you are using genuine PGi550 cartridge and have done head cleans, then the next step would be to remove the printhead from the printer and rinse through with clean, warm water. Pat dry (don't wipe!) with paper towel or tissue before reinstalling.  If a quick rinse doesn't work then soak by sitting the printhead upright in shallow dish of warm clean water (for at least a few hours) followed by rinse and dry per above.

I have a similar problem: some lines of text/characters are blurred and have lower intensity of paint.

Anotherwords: first two lines (counting from the top) are OK, three down are  blurred and have lower intensity and it is repeated all the way down the page.

I tried all maintenance actions available at the printer's software but the cause may be dirty the encoder/timing strip.

Unfortunately, access to this transparent strip with imprinted fine graduation lines is very bad - I was able to run over one side of it with a bit of cotton soaked with propanol alcohol but not on the other side.

And I cannot see how to dismantle the printer to get access...

Can anyone help?

Hi Vladek-Canon,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Hi Vladek,

If some horzontal lines of text are clear all the way across the page, then the problem is not the encoder strip. Contamination of the encoder strip is indicated when the problem of distorted print is vertical down the page (when the printhead carriage position is not able to be accurately determined at that positiona across the page). Further, it is very easy to damage the encoding on this strip with solvents or by physical scratching and so I recommend not touching it at all. 

Your problem is most likely caused by a partial blockage of one of the printheads. Does a test print come out perfect or does it have sections missing/blurred?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements