cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG5550 not printing word documents with PG Black only

NicolaDugan817
Apprentice

Hi

I bought a MG5550 and need to print word documents.

My word documents contain text boxes, images and text and I only want to use the PG Black ink only.  

I'm currently using a Mac, OSX 10.11.6 

What settings do I need to use to make my documents print with no hassle??

Thanks

Nicola

6 REPLIES 6

Ramona
Authority

Hi NicolaDugan817,

To print using only the PGBK black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper. If another paper type is selected, or the original text is a different color, a combination of the color ink tanks will be used to produce the text on the page.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi

All the text is black, but the document contains text boxes and shapes. 

When I go to print, I select plain paper and the printer goes through the motions of printing, but there's nothing on the document.  

The same document prints when I convert it to a PDF but it won't print as a Word document.  Any other suggestions? 

thank you

Nicola

Hi NicolaDugan817,

Let's try a test of your PIXMA MG5520 to make sure that it is working correctly:

1.  On  your PIXMA MG5520, please select SETUP from the HOME screen.

2.  Select Maintenance and press <OK>.

3.  Press <OK> on Print nozzle check pattern.

4.  Press <OK> on Yes.

The Nozzle Check will print.  Please compare your printout to the example that has been attached to the bottom of this post.

Does the Nozzle Check print correctly?

If not, it is recommended that you contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

MG5520 Nozzle Test.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

hi Patrick 

I did the check. 

The grid for PGBK prints out. It's clear. The lines are not as "off" as the pictures you posted. 

Should the lines be trailing off and look mismatched?? Eg the line that starts at the top left is joining up to the 2nd notch on the far right and a row has appeared gradually along the tope. The same for the bottom.

I've tried to upload a picture to send to you but the uplood tool won't let me upload a word doc with an image in it or a photo....suggestions on this too so that I can actually show you?

Thanks

Nicola 

HI NicolaDugan817,

If you scan the document and save it as a JPEG, you should be able to post it to your reply.

In the meantime, please open TextEdit, type out a few words and then print from that application.

Does the issue occur when using TextEdit as well?

hi Patrick

I've just tried to use the printer to print from a word document tonight and now it is working fine.

It seems to be a temperamental issue! Printing on a word document, with the same settings as before and working magically!

Don't worry about it for now. 

It's playing ball now 🙂 no doubt I'll post again if there seems to be any more trouble.

I appreciate all your help so far - unless you think there could be an underlying problem?

Nicola

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements