cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG5420 Printing Color instead of Black and White

BeejCobalt
Apprentice

Yes, I read all the similar posts.  Yes, I have a Mac and followed the directions given to use TextEdit to get a sample print and make sure preferences are shown, as black and white. In the TextEdit sample I was able to get a black and white document.

I have used this printer for 1 1/2 years now without issues.  Just a few weeks ago when I print a document to be just black and white, it is printing in color or color MIXED WITH black.  Often it is green with a little black, or yellow and a little black.  When I scan a document or print a copy of a document directly on the platen, it is black and white.  When I print from my computer with Word for Mac or  an Adobe PDF, even though I make sure settings are NOT "default" and the black and white option is selected, the prints come out in several colors.  I have made sure there is all new ink in all the cartridges, and none are low toner.  What to do now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BeejCobalt
Apprentice

Woohoo, the Canon tech support with the phone number listed in this thread talked me through it all.  It turns out that the nozzle head(s) had to be cleaned.  There is a tiny white arrow that points up at the top of the Home screen.  It is not a decoration as I thought but if you click the UP arrow on the printer controls you get to the Settings Menu.  From there you can print out a test pattern in color.  In my case, one color was not showing at all, even though I had just replaced that color toner in the printer.  This told the tech that I needed to do a cleaning from the menu.  We did it twice and now it is good to go, good as new.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BeejCobalt
Apprentice

Sure hope to get some ideas.  Otherwise I am afraid I'll get desparate and run out to buy a new printer.  But maybe not Canon...

Danny

Hi, BeejCobalt!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, contacting our US-based technical support team is the most efficient way to get these issues straightened out. They're standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/ContactCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Ramona
Authority

Hi BeejCobalt,

In addition to having the black and white printing option selected, you will want to ensure that the paper type selected in the printer driver and application you are printing from is plain paper, as the printer will use a combination of the color inks to make the black text on the page if another paper type is selected, even if the black and white option is selected.  If you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) for further assistance.  A Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

BeejCobalt
Apprentice

Woohoo, the Canon tech support with the phone number listed in this thread talked me through it all.  It turns out that the nozzle head(s) had to be cleaned.  There is a tiny white arrow that points up at the top of the Home screen.  It is not a decoration as I thought but if you click the UP arrow on the printer controls you get to the Settings Menu.  From there you can print out a test pattern in color.  In my case, one color was not showing at all, even though I had just replaced that color toner in the printer.  This told the tech that I needed to do a cleaning from the menu.  We did it twice and now it is good to go, good as new.  Thanks!

Announcements