10-05-2013 09:44 AM
I have a Canon MG2120.
I have tried to install the software and driver CD many times with everything installing correctly except for the scanner driver.
I keep getting a error message saying "Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"
So I uninstalled all drivers and software, went to the Canon driver and software download page and downloaded all teh updagted drivers and software and rebooted my laptop.
After rebooting, I opened the MP Navigator and tried to scan a photo and got the same error message as before Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"
Any solutions to this ?
10-05-2013 10:13 AM
Welcome to the Canon Forum and thanks for your inquiry! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x), as well as the way you connect to your device (USB or networked via WiFi or Ethernet).
Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!
If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.
Thanks and have a great day!
10-05-2013 08:59 PM
Thank you for the reply.
I am using a Dell M5030 Inspiron Laptop, AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 Dual-Core Processor 2.30 GHz,
4.00 GB of RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64.bit OS.
I have the Canon MG2120 connected directly via USB to the laptop, not through a USB hub.
10-09-2013 08:15 PM - edited 10-09-2013 08:15 PM
If you have any antivirus or firewall programs on your computer, please temporarily disable them and then try to launch MP Navigator again. If you still have difficulty, we can remove a file/icon on your computer named "My Websites on MSN" to see if this will resolve the issue. To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Click 'Start' and then 'Computer'.
2. On the left-hand pane, click the down arrow beside Local Disk C:
3. Click the down arrow beside Users to open the folder.
4. Click the down arrow beside your username (for example Joe).
5. Click the down arrow beside the AppData (Application Data) folder.
6. Click the down arrow beside Roaming.
7. Click the down arrow beside Microsoft.
8. Click the down arrow beside the Windows folder.
9. Click the down arrow beside Network Shortcuts folder.
10. Locate an icon named My Web Sites on MSN.
11. Right-click on My Web Sites on MSN and select 'Delete'.
After performing this process, attempt to scan. If you still receive the same error after removing the file, or if the file does not exist, we can try to temporarily remove files from a folder called TWAIN 32 that may be causing a conflict with the MP Navigator program.
1. Go to Computer / My Computer and locate the C: drive, then double-click on it to open.
2. Locate the WINDOWS folder, then double-click to open it.
3. Locate the TWAIN_32 folder, then double-click to open it.
4. Inside of the TWAIN_32 folder, you will see a folder for your PIXMA MG2120 printer as well as a WIATWAIN.DS file. If there are other files in that folder, you will want to move them to another location, preferably your Desktop by doing the following:
4-1. Click on each of the other items in the folder other than the the WIATWAIN.DS file and PIXMA MG2120 folder to select them. You will want to hold the the CTRL key on your keyboard while selecting each of the items until all of the items except for the two referenced above are selected. Please be sure to leave the WIATWAIN.DS file and PIXMA MG2120 folder inside of the TWAIN_32 folder.
4-2. With all of the items you want to move selected, please go to the EDIT menu and select the CUT option.
4-3. Go to your Desktop (main window that comes up when you start Windows with all of the icons on it) and right-click your mouse in any blank area, then choose the PASTE option. The items you selected from the TWAIN_32 folder should appear on the Desktop.
5. Try to launch and scan using MP Navigator again.
This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.
04-15-2014 09:06 PM
I had the same error. My computer is a Toshiba running Windows 7. Spent 2 hours with tech support and reloaded the drivers and MP Navigator EX 5.0. Now the MP Navigator won't even open. It returns an error screen with "Cannot start the MP Navigator EX. Check the following points. etc etc." All the points are taken care of (e.g. correct version, usb connected etc.).
I took my original disk and reinstalled the software again with the same results.
While online with tech support and reinstalling the software the twain_32 folder was emptied except for the wiatwain.ds file. After reloading from the disk that is still the only file there.
What can I do??
It looks like I'm not getting a good install to fix the issue.
Everything had been working until a few days ago.
05-01-2014 07:45 AM
So we can better assist you, please reply with the following information:
1. You mentioned that you have reinstalled the drivers and software from the installation CD; did you also happen to reinstall the printer using the latest drivers from the Canon USA website?
2. If you temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software that is on your computer and then attempt to open MP Navigator, does it open successfully?
3. If you right-click over the MP Navigator icon and select the Run as Administrator option, are you able to launch the program?
We look forward to hearing from you!
If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.
05-02-2014 03:22 PM
I tried all those things.
I'm a senior level QA Analyst. For this software to all of the sudden quit working is really bad. The printer is hard wired to my laptop. I've been to several blogs trying to fix it and discovered how fragile this is. It should be very easy to get up and running. Worst case a reinstall from the original disk should get it up.
No wonder this gets such bad ratings on CNET.
Fortunately the printer functionality still works.
06-24-2014 09:55 AM
I just received my new Canon MX922 and am having the same issue. Did you ever solver ypur scanner problems?
I was told to shut off virus protection and reload drivers also but it did not solve my problem. Canon tech support is the worst!