Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG2120 Error Code: 5,156,61

Travis
Apprentice

Hi

I have a Canon MG2120.

I have tried to install the software and driver CD many times with everything installing correctly except for the scanner driver.

I keep getting a error message saying "Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"

So I uninstalled all drivers and software, went to the Canon driver and software download page and downloaded all teh updagted drivers and software and rebooted my laptop.

After rebooting, I opened the MP Navigator and tried to scan a photo and got the same error message as before Code:5,156,61 Cannot scan for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off.-USB cable is disconnected"

Any solutions to this ?

25 REPLIES 25

Hi, Ramona

I followed steps wrote for you and trouble persists...I have Windows 8.1 64 bits

Thanks

Hi there,

Running Windows 7, downloaded the latest drivers from this site. Application opens, printer works fine but cannot scan - get the same error message as the others.

Running from a usb connection, not through a hub.

I have disable the firewall, I have looked in the Twain 32 folder and there are no other items in there, the 'My websites on MSN' icon does not exist on my computer.

What else can I try as this is extemley frustrating and taking up alot of time just to get a basic scanner to scan a document!

Looking forward to hearing from you, although not hopeful as it looks like this problem has not been solved for others which is very disappointing.

Kelly

tmorrow05
Apprentice

I have the same issue, only my operating system is windows 7. Please help, everything was working fine a couple of days ago.

thank you,

Frustrated in North Cali!

lolas350
Apprentice

Hi-

I was having the same problem when I was trying to scan, and I just was able to successfully scan again. What I did was completely close out of the application, go to the task manager and made sure the application wasn't running, then went to processes under the task manager, and there were several Canon processes still running so I ended those. I reopened the Canon application and tried scanning and it worked fine.

I found that many people were having issues.  There is a registry problem with my computer, some sort of virus.  Sorry to say that my computer is in the shop!  The good news is that it is fixable.  That is why IT is so invaluable! 😉 

topaz18046
Apprentice

I had this problem too. I tried downloading the latest drivers from the Canon website etc. I tried 4 different driver updaters. I finally threw the printer in the rubbish bin and bought an identical one as it was the cheapest. (You get what you pay for!). I hooked it up and installed using the disk...still getting the error message 5,156,61. I finally solved the matter by restoring a registry backup I made on New Years Day with ScanMyReg. Scanning perfectly again. P.S, I salvaged the ink cartidges and plug from the first one. For $30 I cannot whinge too much I guess!

gbonilla
Apprentice

I also suffered from the error message code:5,156,61 and couldn't figure out how to fix it.  My scanner would tell me to start the scan from my computer and my computer said the device was turned off (even though it wasn't and I turned it off and on).  With the MP Navigator screen open, I clicked on "Stack of Documents (ADF)" and yet another window opened.  In the top right corrner I went to the "preferences" button and the selected the "General" tab at the top left.  The first field is Product Name and I saw that it showed my device, the MX880 series.  But when I clicked on the drop-down list, I found another option: MX880 series Network.  Choosing that worked and I was able to start scanning immediately.  I'm not sure how to remove the other option, but at least I know how to manually fix the issue temporarily. 

Thanks

That did the trick!.

Why are there so many drivers on the canon website?

I tried installing them all except something about a 'garden' (most confusing).

None of them worked.

Les

in Manila

Thanks!  After hours reinstalling drivers and doing everything else except toss the printer, I found your post and all works now!  The "techs" at Canon should be so smart (all there responses were remove this, install that, take two aspirin and call us in the morning).  This should be a "Select Source" option on the main screen and no a drop-down menu on a sub-screen.

I've been having problems with my Canon MX892 ever since Microsoft upgraded my computer to Windows 10. I have reinstalled drivers several times. It works for a while and then stops working. Today the printer worked fine, but I couldn't get the scanner to work. Changing it to network did the trick. Not sure why. Thanks for posting this solution.

Even when printing, the printer takes a long time to print; get an error message saying the printer is not working and then it prints. Weird. Something about this printer and Windows 10. Wasn't my choice to upgrade the OS; thanks, Microsoft.

Announcements