cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ImageClass D861 on Windows 7 64-Bit

Jdkunya
Apprentice

HI EVERYBODY!

So, our office just got a new computer, and we're currently stumped on how to get our (really) old printer hooked up to it!  It's a wired hookup, and, as stated in the description, is a (Dell) Windows 7 64-bit, attempting to hook up to a Canon ImageClass D861.  I don't believe we have the disk for it, and when I go to add printer, I don't see the driver for this printer.

I checked canon and saw no driver was offered (or is no longer offered) for this printer.  When I hook the printer up to the computer, it makes a "ding" noise, so it KNOWS something is being hooked up to it (which I guess is a plus), I just think the computer needs help in understanding WHAT it's hooked up to.  

I did read on another site that this computer software may be too new, and may not work on this printer.  So, if anyone can confirm that, or help me get it working, it would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Sonya1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Jdkunya,

I see you want to use your imageCLASS D861 with your Windows 7 64-bit computer.  We're always encouraged to see that our printers are still providing reliable service within the operating system for which they were originally designed.  When operating systems change, it can be difficult to decide which printers to support.  We generally look at the age of the printer and the number of printers estimated to be still in use.  In this case, your D861 was designed and built before 64-bit operating systems were popular with consumers so it is not compatible with 64-bit operating systems, including Windows 7 64-bit.    

If you want to use your D861 with Windows 7, you will need to use the 32-bit version and you can download the Windows 7 32-bit drivers from the Drivers & Downloads page for the imageCLASS D860 (your D861 uses the same drivers).  Click HERE to go to the Drivers & Downloads page for the D860. 

Keep in mind, since the D861 isn't compatible with 64-bit operating systems, you are eligible for our Canon Loyalty Program.  This program allows you to replace your current model with a new model at a reduced price.  The replacement will be shipped FedEx Ground and our sales agents can assist you with pricing and availability.  If you would like to participate in our Canon Loyalty Program, please call our Sales department at (866) 207-9571 to check what models are available.  They are open seven days a week from 8 AM to Midnight ET (excluding holidays).  Be sure to have the serial number of your D861 handy when you call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I believe what your saying is that we would have to convert our computer from 64 to 32 bit?  I'm unsure of the install instructions.

Hello Jdkunya,

I'm saying you would need to use a 32-bit operating system.  Whether this means converting your 64-bit operating system to a 32-bit operating system or using a computer that is already using a 32-bit operating system is up to you.  If you want to convert, you would need to contact your computer manufacturer for assistance.  Once you have a Windows 7 32-bit computer, you would download the Windows 7 drivers for your D861 from the Drivers & Downloads page of the D860.

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements