cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot scan

Spartantartan
Apprentice

I have a TS9120 multipurpose printer/scanner.  Although I can still print, I cannot scan.  The crazy thing is that I have been able to scan previously.  I get one of two messages: 1) An error occurred while communicating with the scanner, or 2) Cannot communicate with the scanner for these reasons... and then they list a bunch of reasons.  None are appicable in my case.  I am using a wireless connection, and my signal is strong.  I have no trouble printing but cannot scan.  Help!!

8 REPLIES 8

Danny

Hi, Spartantartan!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or Mac OS, and which version thereof). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Oh Gee, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you.  I am on a Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6.  I have no trouble printing but cannot scan, although I previously was able to scan.  I have Canon LJ Scan Unitlity Lite and my scanner is the TS9100 series.

I've restarted my computer, my router, my scanner numerous times.  I've tried multiple ways to scan.  No luck.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi Spartantartan,

What is the error code that appears at the top of the error window that you get when you attempt to scan?

When you open the IJ Scan Utility, at the top, next to Product Name, what all is listed in that box?  Does it show "Canon TS9100 series" or "Canon TS9100 series Network" ?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrick,

No error code appears in or on the error window.  I get a "searching for scanner" message and then a message that states, "An error occurred while searching for the scanner."  There is an "okay" box to check as well.

I tried a second time and got the message, "Ann error occurred while communicating with the scanner."  No error code.

I tried a third time and got this message:  

Cannot communicate with scanner. Possible reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from wired LAN.

- (If using Wi-Fi connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- (If using USB connection) USB cable is disconnected.

Please check and try again.

On my 4th try, I got the same message as above.  I am using a WiFi connection, but my signal strength is strong.  My desktop is hard-wired, and the router is within a foot or two of my computer and my printer/scanner.  I have no trouble printing except for a quirk I can address later.

The IJ Scan Utility shows "Canon TS9100 series."  

Seversl days ago, when I first started trying to scan, after many tries, and many varied messages, I received a message stating, "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner," followed by a dash and the number 9923.  I attempted to find out what that error message was but no message was listed with that error number.

Please note that I was previously able to scan documents.

Thank you for your help.

HI Patrick or anyone else who will help me,

I have not received an answer to my question and still cannot scan.  However, I got an email today telling me there was a new reply to this thread and providing a link to it.  The link doesn't work.  There is no reply.  I am unable to scan.

Please, can someone help me?

Many thanks.

Hello.

At the top of the IJ Scan Utility, make sure that the "network" version of the scanner is selected.  Based on your previous response, the standard version is selected which is meant for USB connections.

If you still have diffuclties, please contact our technical support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the exact same issue. There is no option to select a network printer versus the hardwired version. Please help. This printer has not been useful as anything except a printer, and that only works sometimes with frequent resets and cancelled jobs.

Had the same issue. Fixed by making sure the network settings in my laptop were set-up to configure ipv6 automatically. Alternatively, you could turn ipv6 off on the printer.

Announcements