cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run Canon Inkjet Print Utility for PIXMA MG8220

risman
Contributor

When I try to open this utility, I get a message that "a driver supported by this software is not installed" and can't find anywhere on Canon support page where to find it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The printer always worked--it was just this particular utility that wasn't seeing a driver. After more fiddling, I could no longer even see the printer in Device Manager using USB. I was finally able to recognize it using wireless, and the print utility works with wireless. Thanks for all your suggestions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Might help if you told us what OS you are using?

Windows / Mac, build or version?

This is the support page from your printer with Driver Downloads

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry. I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, latest version (1909). I had already downloaded both the drivers on the drivers page.

Not knowing your background with computers and such . . . I ask this with all due respect.

You say you downloaded the driver software, but did you also install the driver software?

yes

When you installed the printer in Win10, did you use the software CD that came with the printer when it was new? If so, you might try uninstalling the printer and that older software version. Then go here and scroll down the page and download the (hopefully) newer MP Navigator software and reinstall everything again from scratch.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mg...

Ran into a similar issue when installing my trusty old Canon ip960 printer on a newer Win10 machine.

Tried that, no change. Shows no problems in Device Manager. In Printers & Scanners, printer doesn't even show up as a printer, but rather as an unspecified device. I'm not sure it's picking up the correct driver(s) and not sure where those are, as all the *MG8200*.inf drivers have a 2012 date.

Had the printer previously worked properly for you? If so, under what operating system. Are you trying to connect it wirelessly? Have you tried connecting it via a USB cable? Have you run Windows Update since your attempts to install the printer?

Considering the possible age of the printer, have you attempted to install it in Windows Compatibility mode, maybe for Win7? It doesn't always work, but over the years I've had some success with it keeping some older hardware and software usable for e few more years.

The printer always worked--it was just this particular utility that wasn't seeing a driver. After more fiddling, I could no longer even see the printer in Device Manager using USB. I was finally able to recognize it using wireless, and the print utility works with wireless. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Announcements