cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Print Two-Sided on Pixma MX882

ginapicc
Contributor

I've had my Pixma MX882 printer for a number of years now. It has served me very well. I'm currently using it with a Macbook on which I am running MacOS Sierra (10.12.6). Everything seems to be working on it except that the two-sided option is disabled (grayed out) and set to "Off" when I bring up the print settings panel. 

I've tried a number of things to resolve this issue, and none have worked:

I reinstalled the driver (version 16.10.0.0).

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.

I changed the "2-sided" setting in the print settings on printer display to "2->2 sided print"

It's still not working. I was hoping to get some help from Canon's tech support line, but when I called I found out this printer is no longer supported. So as a last attempt to resolve this I'm putting a shout-out to this forum in hopes that someone will see it and know the answer.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me!

9 REPLIES 9

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi ginapicc,

I would open printers and scanner and see if the printer has Airprint selected. If the printer has Airprint selected, remove it from printers and scanner by selecting the printer and clicking the - button. Once that is done, click the + button and click add printer so a new window will open. It may take a few moment but if the printer is connected wirelessly you will want the MX890 series IJ network option.

Does this help resolve the issue described?  If so, please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you so much for responding Arthur!

Unfortunately, Airprint is not the answer to the problem. The Pixma MX882 is not Airprint equipped, so there is no option for it. You can see a list of Airprint-compatible printers here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201311

Any other ideas you might have would be most welcome!

ginapicc
Contributor

This is the original poster.

This morning I received two e-mails indicating there were new replies to this post, but when I came here, there were none. 

Does anyone know why this might happen?

Hi ginapicc,

I am very sorry about the wrong information, I misread what model printer you have.

So we can narrow down this issue, please let us know what size and type of paper you are using and if borderless printing is set.

We look forward to your reply.

Hi Again Arthur! Thanks for your continued help.

I'm using regular 8 1/2 x 11 inch letter-size printer paper, and the Border setting is set to None.

Let me know if you need anything else...

Hi ginapicc,

Everything looks good with your paper settings. Only thing I can recommend at this point is to go back into printers and scanners and select your printer and choose reset print system. Once the print system is reset, please add the printer back on and try to print again and make sure borderless is disabled still.

Rats, that didn't fix it either. {{Sigh!}}

I appreciate your help, Arthur. Let me know if you are able to think of anything else for me to try.

Hi,

Were you able to fix your problem? I am having the same issue and am looking for a solution. I can no longer print double-sided, even though that option is available on the printer itself. It is grayed out in the layout settings when I go to print any document.

Please advise, thank you.

@ginapicc wrote:

Rats, that didn't fix it either. {{Sigh!}}

I appreciate your help, Arthur. Let me know if you are able to think of anything else for me to try.

No, I wasn’t able to fix it. I eventually got a new printer. My suspicion is that after so many years even the most recent printer driver isn’t compatible with the operating system and certain things won’t work. Eventually Canon stops making driver updates for printers that are no longer supported.

Announcements