cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not set up WiFi

catjes
Apprentice

Hey 

I bought this because the Wifi was meant to be easy to set up.  For some reason the software at ig.start.cannon just  "can not acquire information about the driver or software".  I have checked that the canon can access the internet through the default windows firewall which it can - and also tried running it as administrator which didn't solve this.  I think it is because the setup program on my PC can not detect or find the printer on the wireless network.  I trried from a surface pro in the house, and same issue.  I tried from an ethernet wired PC on the network - same issue.    So i think that somehow the printer is not discoverable - I don't know if it joins on a SSID broadcast or is detected via broadcast - but either way its not detectable.

It is really frustrating - and I ended up manually connecting the printer to the wireless network, then manually installing the downloaded drivers, then connecting the pc to the printer.  Now everyone who wants to use this printer has to go through the main steps.   There is no support on fixing this issue.

This is a really really poorly designed piece of software - i can't override that step or anything - and even after i have drivers installed - the app won't run because it can't detect the printer.

Any idea how to fix this ?  What network does the ij.start.cannon software scan on ? 

7 REPLIES 7

Crista
Whiz

Hi catjes! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums! 

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what printer model you own. 

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team can help HERE

Thanks!

Sorry - It's windows 10 Home and a Canon Pixma G6020, all updates and patches applied to Windows. 

Network IP Ragnes is 192.168.6.x (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) (I suspect this is not a defaul so this may be the cause) as it is not 192.168.1.x

Thanks

Greetings,

The LAN segment you choose to use on your local network doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.

You can use 192.168.6.x if you want, the printer doesn't care. 

The printer only has to be connected to Wi-Fi once.  The printer supports a 2.4Ghz broadcast only.  If you try to connect it to a 5Ghz broadcast, it will not work.

If your router is dual band and supports "SMART Connect' or similar...  which is a setting that uses the same SSID broadcast name for both networks 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, the printer may have difficulty or fail to connect. 

Now that the device is connected, take the extra step and assign it a static or reserved IP.  This is important.

If you want to know why, please see my posts here

This is not specific to Canon, it can happen to any device, any printer, from any manufacturer. 

The important thing is to be consistent.  Set it up properly once and it will serve you well. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for that - I did manually connect it ok and can print - thanks for the tip to give it a reserved ip - however I am curious why it fails on the install process from lj.start.cannon - I have b/g/n and 2.4 and 5.0ghz n/works set up - and the smart connect did not work either - and I do broadcast my ssid

I guess it would be cool to have someone (from cannon) explain why the install steps fail - and then just closes the install app with no further diagnosis.  All their documentation (video / print) assumes that it works and there are no trouble shooting steps, and this particular error has  been floating around on canon installs for atleast 4 years from what i saw on the web - and very little from canon on it.

At least if the error occurs - give me the opportunity to select a printer or manually download it from within the app etc.  Or tell me whether its the printer detect or the driver download (as I don't know if it detected it but the app was blocked from the internet somehow)

Thanks for your help !

cheers

s

edosan86
Apprentice

I just bought a G6020 to replace an MG6289 (that's a horror story you don't want to hear) and no matter what I try, I keep getting a message that says, "printer can not connect to network". I am using an iMax that is running OS Catalina 10.15.6 but I had exactly the same problem with the MG6289 after an upgrade of the Apple operating system. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the compatibility of Canon software with Apple's operating systems, or at least the way I have mine configured?

edosan86
Apprentice

Seconds after I hit the RETURN button on the comment above, a solution occurred to me.

Rather than leaving my FIREWALL up and waiting for the SETUP PROGRAM to ask me if I wanted to allow the new G6020 Printer to access the NETWORK WI-FI as a once off, and saying YES, I DISABLED my FIREWALL completely before restarting the SET-UP procedure at https://ij.start.canon. 

And that did the trick.

The set-up procedure went smoothly after I did that. As soon as I was done with the set-up, I raised the FIREWALL again, and tested it to make sure it would print wirelessly with the firewall raised and it did.

So there is one possible solution fior some of you.

dfmuniz74
Apprentice

I disabled SCS (Smart Channel Selection) on my router, by changing Channel Selection from Auto to 161 (DFS - Dynamic Frequency Selection).

Announcements