cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I stop Photoshop from launching?

kris44dad
Contributor

I have a Canon MX490 printer.  Everytime I hit the scan button on my printer, it says "wait a while" and launches Photoshop. How can I turn that off? I just want the printer to save the scan, not lauch an application.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I called Canon. They had me uninstall the MP driver, reboot, and reinstall the current MP driver from the support page.  Photoshop no longer launches. Thanks to all.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend
Greetings,
Windows or MAC?

How this occurs:

Output file type is associated with Photoshop as the default application

Printer Driver?
Is a canon specific printer driver installed or are you using default support in the OS?

Depending on the situation, you might be able to set the output file type and in others a default action. Like open a program.

One or the other of these is probably why Photoshop is opening when you initiate a scan.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kris44dad
Contributor
Windows. Photoshop launches when I use the scan button on the printer itself. When I use the scan function in the PC the scanner acts properly. I don't know what protocol photoshop is keying on. it's not in the default programs list. So, I posted here.

Hi Kris44dad,

You can adjust what program opens from IJ Scan Utility. In IJ Scan you will want to go to settings and adjust the open with an application under Save to PC. Please click HERE to open the online manual that will show you where you can access the option.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I checked all the settings on all the tabs. The application is listed as Windows Explorer everywhere. I don't see Photoshop as listed anywhere

Tryed resetting everything to, Don't launch any application, still lauches Phoshop when pressing the scan button on the scanner. Reset to defaults.

Are you sure you have the defaults set correctly for each scan heading?  If Photoshop is present, that might be the culprit.

scan.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yep. I looked under every tab, and the full page under each. I still don't know what is triggering it.

Hello.

The IJ Scan Utility has options for adjusting the options in the IJ Scan Utility itself, and for the "Save to PC" options.  The "Save to PC" options are meant for scans that are performed from the operation panel.

On the upper left corner of the Settings menu, please click the Save to PC button (middle) then make the adjustments for the tabs there.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have to keep repeating myself...

When I use the IJ Scan Utility everything works as it should.  It is when I use the scan button on the printer itself that Photoshop launches. I guess I will have to look on the Photoshop side for a solution.  I will add that when I push the scan button on the printer, the LCD sceen says, "wait a while". It is during that time Photoshop launches.  Photoshop doesn't even load an image. It just starts and sits there, making the action useless and annoying.

Announcements