cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I print on a Canon MP480 using only a black ink cartridge?

BKJen
Apprentice

4 REPLIES 4

Ramona
Authority

Hi BKJen,

Both ink cartridges are required to be installed in the printer in order to print, even if one of the ink cartridges are low or out of ink. If you are receiving a low/out of ink warning and need to continue printing, you can disable the ink level detection function of the printer by pressing and holding down the Stop/Reset or Resume/Cancel button on the printer for at least 5 seconds, then releasing it.  Once the low/out of ink cartridge is replaced with a Canon genuine ink cartridge, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.

You can also set the printer to print using only the black ink cartridge from within the printer driver on your computer. If you would like instruction for doing this, please reply with what operating system is on your computer (version of Windows or Mac OS X), and we'll be happy to assist you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have an  imac OS X 10.10.5 and want to set my canon MP480 printer to use color ink only.

Pleas help me to reset printer internally to print using only black.

Thank-you

Hi mniewski,

Please follow these steps on your Mac:

1.  Click the Apple in the upper left hand corner and then System Preferences.

2.  Open Print & Fax.

3.  Select the PIXMA MP480 and click 'Open Print Queue...'.

4.  Click the Printer Setup icon.

5.  Click the Utility tab.

6.  Click Open Printer Utility.

7.  Select the PIXMA MP480 and click Maintenance.

8.  Choose Ink Cartridge Settings from the pull down menu.

9.  Select the ink cartridge you wish to print from.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have an El Capitan OS on my Mac.  How do I change my default to just print black and white?

Announcements