cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

enchiladas
Apprentice

I have a Canon MG8120 which developed the U052 error late last week in between printing two different documents.  We spent the weekend trying different approaches to fix it, including the suggested paper jam solution, but nothing has worked.  I would really like to find a solution since I have quite a few replacement ink cartridges for this machine that I would hate to have to get rid of if I have to replace the whole printer.  It would seem to be a big waste to just have to toss the machine.  I guess I will call Canon if they do not come up with some way to override this error code.  I will continue to monitor the forum for solutions.  Up until this problem, we have been generally satisfied with the printer.

cerises
Apprentice

In the space of 2 weeks, we have had the same U052 call of death of the printers in our family. A 4 year old MP610 and a 2 year old MP640. I expect a printer to last alot longer especially as we've always used Canon inks in them (even when I was a skint student!). They both printed fine until one day they decided to show the error, and in fact it was the newer printer that showed it too. I used to recommended Canon printers straight away, but after researching the error and seeing it's more than an isolated issue, I don't think I'll be recommmending Canon again. I have looked up the cost of repair, and it's shocking.

kekoehn
Apprentice

I’m giving up on my MX882 – I got the dreaded “U052 Wrong Printhead” error last weekend.  Thinking it was a bad printer cartridge (Canon) I bought a whole new set of cartridges.  Didn’t help. So I started scouring the web, and came across this forum with its suggestions which I have tried ALL OF THEM to no avail. So here I sit with basically a worthless printer that’s only about 2 years old and I have a brand new set of ink cartridges!

Was at Target last night looking and thinking maybe I should just go with cheapies (not Canon!) at half or less the price of a new good printer.  I could replace them every year with newer and newer models at the same cost in the long run.   Office Depot and best Buy have some that look worthwhile also (again, not Canon!).

Sad state of affairs….

yami
Contributor

My MX860 stopped too with same error 😞

HaloU052
Apprentice
PARDON ME,

I mostly use this printer for optical media printer but I've literally printed maybe 200 pages and maybe 15 DVDs. Still using original 225 cartridge and just replaced the other 226s. I am extremely frustrated and a bit shocked that such a poor design flaw could make it to market. I've reseated the print head multiple times and I have. I interest in paper jamming my way into a 200$ printer(although if I need to scan it's a clever bypass and I salute your creativeness.) my bets are on a poorly secured ribbon cable somewhere or perhaps it's the contacts themselves that are malfunctioning. I do know without any doubt it's a defect either in the execution of the printers design or a poorly designed printer. I'm guessing they saved a couple bucks by having the body then either a 110-120 or a 220 power supply popped on in the same printer. Maybe it's glitchy software... Regardless I'm surprised how little acknowledgment Canon has made on the thread. I'm curious to see how this plays out on their part because I have two canon dslrs and multiple lens. It I've been looking at those New Sony NEX-VG900 Full-Frame Interchangeable Lens Camcorder. Ah, remember Kodak? 3 years from now I hope that's not where canon is.

yami
Contributor

As I posted in an individual topic, I may start Buyin-Using-Returning Canon Printers as much as I can until Canon realizes it is the customer that say what to do with his machine!!

jayR
Apprentice

I own many Canon products and love the company, but this printer head mess is inexcuseable.  I have several  Pixma IP1600 and a MP210.  Both models had the printer head problems.  I now have over $100 of unuseable ink. 

Canon will not address the probelm but will evetually have to.  There's an agency who's bringing a calss action regarding  canon and this particular printer head.  Google federman & sherwood.  They have a page on their website regarding Canon.

Turbopas
Contributor

I am having the same problem since an hour ago, all of a sudden my Canon MG5350 shouts the U052 printhead error... I have not been able to fix this till now inspite of the instructions form Canon... frustrating!!!

Numa
Apprentice

My MP610 just gave the UO52 error. Tried everything posted ou there including swapping for a set of new cartridges: no success.

Now looking for new printer. Very disapointed as Canon had provided me with my best printers so far...

scatterbrain13
Apprentice

Add me to the list! Can't believe it just gave up on me in the middle of a print and FOR NO REASON AT ALL!! 😞 Get on it Canon, this is ridiculous.

Mine's an MG5350.

Announcements