cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

JasonP
Apprentice

MG530

Just replaced the black cartridges today.  Been an amazing machine, especially with the wireless network option and not needing to have it directly attached to a computer.  Suddenly, U052.  Power cycled, removed and reinstalled the etc, remove and reinstall the ink cartridges.  Nothing.

I've had it for a few years.  Sang nothing but praises to Canon.  Now suddenly, this.  $30 for the two blacks and now a bricked printer.  Had I know it was going to happen, I would have had it recycled.  Need it to print stuff for my jobs, then scan the paperwork in so I can e-mail / fax it.  Great...

Gregory_GM
Apprentice

In  my case, a MX700 just gave me the U052.  From my perspective as an electronics technician and a consumer, I think that Cannon could come clean if they were to provide us with a proper fix for this problem, or at least provide some sort of compensation..  if I had the proper tool (programmable logic test bech, etc) I would be glad to fix it for them (but, alas I'm between jobs and do not have access to anything more signifigant that a digital meter)

Speaking for myself, now that I am in the market for a new (or one that is old but functional?) printer, I will absolutely not consider a Cannon.

Scorpio
Apprentice
I'm going to Costco today to look @ a Brother 5520 that's on sale. Reviews seemed ok. My Canon died the other day on pwr up w/ U052. Retired from 35 yr as Si Val hardware design eng. I'm salvage parts from the Canon carcass. Scorpio.

SWEETNESSTM
Apprentice

I do medical billing from home and have 3 printers going at all times for various forms and for certain functions like scanning documents into system etc. I HAVE HAD IT WITH CANON ! I have an old Lexmark from around 2006 and it is still going strong! I bought a used HP J4550  and it is doing fine. Why can't Canon get there product to last longer than a year this is my second one my Pixma gave out after one year with a stupid error message that would not clear stating the overflow ink tank was full but it was clean. Now my Canon mg 5320 has error stating wrong printhead really ? What a piece of garbage well Canon Never and I mean Never again will I buy another printer that only lasts at the most 1 year with light use I use my canon mainly for scanning documents and I occationaly print pictures for myself. I am all for joining a lawsuit over this as  I don't have money to keep replacing printers. HELLO CANON DO YOU CARE???

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Oh I can answer that question for you. Just by every person on here and on other sites have stated. They do not care. Even a few of us that are tech savvy enough to dive into a printer and attempt to fix their issue, we get no support for trying to help.

tyepilot
Apprentice

I have the same problem. Just out of no where U052 error. Tried all fixes. Cannon needs to provide a remedy!

jksk2001
Apprentice

I am a victim of this error as well.  Canon only offers to sell me a new printer.

Mikee56
Apprentice
I have the MX892. No luck. Still have a disabled printer

raverilla23
Apprentice

now a sad victim on my mx892 due to this u052 error.  damnn

daveglover
Apprentice

MG5350 , same problem as everyone else. UO52 "the type of print head is incorrect". Got a couple of years out of the printer, so was luckier than many but still very disappointed. Now seeing how common this is, disappointment has turned to anger. Canon, I want a full refund or replacement.

Announcements