cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

JGoodson
Apprentice

Very disappointed with Canon.  I had the MX712 for less than 2 years.  After installing a new Canon black print cartridge this month, I received the U052 error message.  I followed the troubleshooting suggestions from canon and others I found but none worked.  The printer is of no use now as it will not fax or scan due to this error.

talik719
Apprentice

same here, canon mx715, worked fine then didnt, cant even use the scanner or fax now.

its a shame because i had my eye on an EOS 7D.

..might go see what nikon has to offer

Mamagull
Contributor

I had a bit of fun - went with my brother to Staples to help pick out a new printer.

Of course a staff member was on us like bees on honey.  When he suggested the "C" word I said (very forcefully) NEVER.  Got a very wide-eyed look, so then I proceeded to explain the situation.  He said he hadn't heard of the problem, so I made a few notes for the clerk.  Brother reports that he really likes his new HP printer.

The best way to get the word out, people, is to be vocal, in the right place at the right time. I think I'll print out a few of the better replies here to carry with me for anyone interested..........

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Nope. Just buy something besides canon like the thousands of others with this issue. I use to sell canon where I work, now I don't and the whole team won't either. Two other retailers close by that offer canon, aren't selling them due to this unresolved issue that is being ignored. One has pulled them from the shelves. Makes it difficult to sell and support a brand when the brand will not help take care of us or our customers.

cricket23
Apprentice

U052 error.  This occurred during printing.  None of the fixes have worked.  Model Number Pixma MX892.  Printer is less than two yeaers old.  Who wants to support a company that builds products that barely outlast their warrenties?

allisondeanlove
Apprentice

My Pixma MG5320 Canon printer is only about a year old and has been used very little. I've had a U052 error code for a long time and chose to ignore it and use another printer. I finally thought I'd research a fix and see that the only fix is to buy another printer. Very disappointed that a practically new printer died. I won't be using Canon again.

High_Tower
Apprentice

Chalk up another dissatisfied customer. MX860 working perfectly and then suddenly this error? LOL

82 pages of nothing but screwed customers. Seems pretty evident of crippleware to me. There is no reason for it, and certainly no reason not to repair it. Now its just been bricked. 

Guess what Canon,

Your not getting my repair $$$ and all you will get is recommendation to others NOT TO BUY Canon.  Scammers

Weave
Apprentice

I just experienced the same situation and problem. I spent $70 + on new print cartridges. replaced two, printed four pages and now I get the error U052 "this type printhead is incorrect. Install the correct printhead". My printer is a Canon MX860.. It had actually been a pretty good machine except for the cost of the cartridges until the rejection of the new ones.

Lester-DXB
Apprentice

You can add me to your list with an MP640 and an error 052 which won't go away, despite trying everything given as advice by Canon on-line. Lester Dubai.

nomorecanon
Apprentice

Same with me - MP600 worked fine until a minute ago - I'll be going to HP

Announcements