cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Got the private message. Too bad, though: About two weeks after the failure and my original posting, I took the printer to town recycling center; the same day, went out an bought an Epson as a replacement.

It's disappointing on how few printers have the second, straight through printer path that the MP610/MP640's had, and none of the Canons I saw on display had that. Oh, well.

Kbeck

Tootsy42
Apprentice

I received an Error U052 on my PIXMA MG5320.  I followed the instructions from Canon on how to fix it, but I didn't work. Then I contacted Canon and within 2 hours they responded:  "Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I understand that your PIXMA MG5320 is getting a U052 error.  I am happy to assist you. Based on what you have described, we would like to replace the print head under warranty.  I've entered a request into our system for a replacement print head.  Please allow several business days for processing and delivery.

You will also be receiving a prepaid UPS shipping label in your email within three business days.  This shipping label is to return the non-functioning print head to Canon so that it can be properly recycled.  You can drop off the packaged print head at any UPS drop off point.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns about your PIXMA MG5320.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Marnie
Technical Support Representative"

I can complain, they acted very quick and we should see what happens with the new print head.  I'll keep you all posted.

count me in too.  MP 500. Have had the dreaded error now for weeks and keep trying different things.  I have seen/read Canon's directions all over the net, but it doesn't work.  Almost all the posts I read also said the replacement heads don't seem to work either.

Did anyone find any solution?

I really liked this printer. Worked great for a few years and then BAM.  I even make sure I have back up ink... been buying the packs a Costco, yes it is always Canon ink.

Sigh... off to get a new printer.

The replacement head Canon's send, did not work. Get same error U052 Waiting on Canon for next step to follow....

Someone said to try and take the Canon printer off your computer... and then reinstall it without the updates and see if it works.   Even though I just bought a new printer.. HP....... I am going to try the uninstall, install just to see if it works.

CompEngineer
Apprentice

I have the CANON MG5320, was working perfectly, then in the middle of a print job I got the dreaded U052 error message. The printer has completely locked me out. I have tried to reinstall the print head, I've tried cleaning the print head, no change.

Piece of junk! I spend 3 week researching printers, and this is the best I got. Purchased in November 2012. I want in on the class action suit, this is fraud. Time to fire the guy that suggested this planned obsolescence. I will be actively encouraging friends and family to avoid all CANON products at all costs.

After trying all the fixes suggested by all you good people, and several more I found on the 'net I decided enough was enough. Here is the final remedy. <link removed per forum guidelines> http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Forum-Info/Forum-Guidelines/m-p/15

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

OOOOOOH!  Very nice.  It'll fit better in the trash canSmiley Very Happy

I'm glad you saw it before my link was deleted. I thought the sledge hammer was very effective.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

savinglots
Contributor

Cause a paper jam, I took the paper tray off the bottom of it and threaded a piece of paper
so when the printer turned on the first message was paper jam and not the incorrect print head error.
I then removed the paper and hit ok and it started up as it should and the printer worked fine.
Only problem I have found is that when you turn the printer off and back on again with out a paper jam the error returns.
So either leave it on or make a paper jam everytime you turn it on.

Announcements