cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I'm 98% sure that a new print head is not going to solve the problem.  I've swapped out a new print head from a different Canon printer that uses the same print head.  Unless you're still under warranty, it's going to cost you more (much more) to get it checked out and repaired than it will to buy another printer.

Eebe
Apprentice

Why have my posts been removed?

Was it your post that referenced Aplus Computer? If so, the utilities for a MG5220 don't work. Also, I'm guessing this will get deleted, too.

it was but it was to fix a MP800.  And I guess yours will be deleted!

nerfninja
Apprentice

MG7520 just died with this error. I printed a one page school form successfully. Then I reprinted it, and the error popped up. 

I tried the reseat procedure twice. I even cleaned to contacts on the print head and the pins on the printer main body, but neither had any effect. 

Like hundreds of others have posted, no luck with ANY repair method.

At least the YouTube 'solved' videos are funny.

Hello, same problem with my MG5650 !!! It's a shame for Canon !!! Let's spread the info of this planned obsolescence on twitter, newspaper, facebook everywhere !!!!

pixma610
Apprentice

I have the same issue with Pixma MP610 from 2008.

The printer is otherwise in very good state. 

I see no reason, why also scanner should be harmed by this error. Could someone help how to get at least scanner working?

Thank in advance for any help.

Haven't responded to these many posts for so long as it became so frustrating, but here's the answer, as many of my more learned colleagues and so many, many other posters will know. You have two choices. 1. You can keep posting requests for details, & trying the many options like changing print heads; using whole new sets of branded inks; writing to Canon: reading through many years of Forum posts, including the success of a Class Action Lawsuit in America (which changed nothing in terms of future Printers!); OR 2. you can stop all the stress, as I did eventually, and go out and just buy another printer!

A surprise:

My MX 870 threw the U052 code this morning after I replaced an ink cartridge.  My search brought me to this forum.  Needless to say, I was very discouraged by what I read while waiting the 10 unplugged minutes called for in the Canon reccommended "fix"

I restored power, the printer turned on and......the message was gone!

Fingers crossed

Announcements