cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

@ taraboo: Did you register your printer on the Canon Website after you bought it? If so, purchase receipt not necessary for claim ...check website instructions again!

If you registered your printer previously on the Canon Website, you don't need a receipt. Re, printing our the claim form: SERIOUSLY?You don't have a friend or relative who has a computer with a working printer? WOW! Lastly, you have a chance to pickup $50 from Canon to use ANYWAY and ANYWHERE you want! Not smart to take counsel from your anger!

Read my post on Class Action Lawsuit, including link!

barrysmoke
Apprentice

canon pixma 892

worked great for years, then bam! U052

Fklein23
Apprentice

Dear terathopius: The link goes to a page that cannot be loaded.

AEBY05486
Apprentice

Mine is an MG7720. I need this specific model printer for the special ink for my photo restorations. At present, it's too expensive to replace. I keep getting the "wrong printhead" warning when there's nothing wrong with it! Because of this, I can't use the #1 drawer at all, but it USUALLY prints fine from the #2 drawer. But now even that one acts up, at the least convenient moments, but not all of the time. Since it still SOMETIMES prints beautifully, I'm sure this is a software problem. Yet research solutions that show up only try to sell you a new printer! Makes me furious! I don't have a thousand bucks--especially then I know this is a fluke.

billtaylor
Apprentice

MP 990 won't go away and the printer works flawlessly previous to the error.  I followed the clean print head instructions it works for a few prints then the euro returns again.  I will keep this printer as evidence of a functional printer with what I feel is a firmware block that is stopping me from working.  In my opinion if the firmware is forcing me to buy a new printer even though its functioning properly that is deceptive practices.  Screen showing my post should it be taken down.

Caerfree
Apprentice

Canon Pixma MG5250.  I tried all recommended head cleaning, cartridge cleaning, manual reset.  Nothing has worked.

HD1202
Apprentice

MG5220 like everyone else....suddenly I have the wrong print head I have used since purchase. What gives Canon ?

I have cleaned the print head, I have done a hard reset with the same result. Does Canon suddenly stink ????

Announcements