cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Had a 5 year old Canon MX860 that crashed with a failed power supply a couple months ago.  Since my son was home on a break from college, I just grabbed his 2 year old MX882 and have been using it.  Based on his grades in shool, I am pretty sure it was not used very much (if you know what I mean.)

Was trying to finish my taxes yesterday and needed to print returns (can't efile for some reason and have to sent in printed forms)   Got the dreaded U052 error on the MX882.  Tried all the guidance about removing ink, reseating the print head, unplug, wait, reboot.  Tried 3 times and gave up.  Dashed over to Best Buy which had a good deal on Epson WF-3540.

Was thinking of tossing the Canon but decided to do some further research before giving up since hopefully son will be going back to college this fall and need a printer again.  Found this link and thought I would give it a try to see if Canon would contact me with replacement offer.

I agree with most comments about poor design/built in obsolecence.  When I bought the older Canon MX860, I gave my daughter my old HP Printer that was already 3-4 years old at the time.  She used it all through college and now still has it after graduating (yeah, some kids figure the college thing out).

So, do I need to contact Canon directly, or just post my issues here and hope someone will contact me?  

You probably need to contact them directly, and make a fuss. I just had a reply back from Canon (UK) and I copy and paste here........... "I’m sorry that you are having problems with your printer, can you clarify what the issue is please, and the error code by itself does not give much information." It sounds like this particular member of staff doesn't have access to error message codes, etc.! emailed back quoting chapter and verse and included a link to this thread so he could get up to speed. My next reply was............ "Thank you for this clarification, I do have access to various user guides and service manuals however this error can be caused when the printer is turned on or after a short time of operation, both would indicate what could be the cause of the issue. In regards to your clarification I would advise you to contact one of our authorised repair centres to have the printer checked and repaired as this type of issue can only be diagnosed by a qualified repair technician." Basically that means I have hit a dead end with Canon's after sales service. I am so angry I could heavy my printer through their CEO's window!
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Hi Aardvark

I too have hit a dead end being in South Africa. I have reported this issue to a consumer forum here and to Canon SA which directs me to Europe. I was told by this forum that they only service the US and they do not service South Africa.

I think we should take this issue up with our local suppliers and redirect them this forum for an example of how Canon US is responding to the satisfaction of thier customers.  Good Luck

Well, what a depressing read, and nail in coffin of my Canon printer purchasing days. Tried reseating, soaking, turning off/waiting/turning on and zip. Ta Ta Canon. Hope my Eos doesn't go the same way, or it's good news for Nikon and Epson, I'd say!!!

Maybe you got the wrong rep  Try again   There was a message for me from this forum due to the uo52 error. Canon claims they are sending me a new printer due to ariive tomorrow and a shipping label to return the faulty one. It is obviously a computer problem, not a printhead problem. It will not help to clean,or replace printhead. People have done that. I hope Canon wants my old printer to diagnos the problem. I for one am impressed with their response. Shall see what is in box though. They said it would be the same or upgraded model.   I wouldn't call. Look on the forum for an email link someone posted to canonfriends

I posted to this forum and they are sending me a new printer check out the email canon friends link here somewhere I can hardly believe it You may have a PM that you have not checked I hadn't. personal message.

I bought my printer in 2013. Never have replaced anything in the printer other than the ink. Now, this morning I received an error message on my Canon MG5320, that I have the wrong printer head. How can this be when I have never replaced it? Looking for solutions to this situation.

Keatts

Read the thread!

There are no solutions except to buy a new printer (not a Canon printer) and curse Canon's uselessness.

Sorry to break the bad news.

Check out my post regarding Class Action Law Suit Settlement!

Just as the previous 106 pages of people have described...same error here,  same troubleshooting experience here.  Now this class action lawsuit?....what a joke!  

Number one,  how do you propose we print out the claim form?? with our printers that dont work?

Number two, hope you all have your reciept from buying this junker,  I sure dont.  

Number 3...even if I did, I have already wasted more time on this issue than I care to and after typing this, I will consider it a lesson learned the hard way.  In the trash this thing will go.  Or should I jump through all the ridiculous hoops of filling out this and that, finding proof of purchase blah blah blah for what??   50 bucks???? or a $75 voucher to buy more canon garbage?  Nah I'll pass.  

Anyone want to buy a case of ink (cheap) for your new Canon that your going to buy with your voucher? 

Cut your losses and buy another brand.  BTW, stay away from Kodak too! 

Announcements