cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

ag123
Apprentice

Wow, I just had the U052 error message come up as well.  This was after having the B200 error message pop up and calling Canon customer service to try and rectify the problem.  I haven't read all the posts in this forum yet, but did Canon ever do anything to make this right?

Canon, you will never get my business again unless you reply to me here and make this right.  I will tell others about this too.  You're reputation as a company should be very valuable to you.

I don't think they care anymore. The first message appeared two years ago. They did their usual support posts and when those did not work, they stopped responding altogether. 

Won't happen ... Canon considers it a closed matter resulting from class action lawsuit!

Being rich and powerful gives you ability to make others accept what you want in this world, but remember we are not living only for the short time we spend on Earth but for eternity in Heaven, be patient, do what is right, I don't like it anymore than you but remember life here is short compared to eternity in Heaven.   God bless all, yes even Canon

Jim

@GuyNamedJoe wrote:
Won't happen ... Canon considers it a closed matter resulting from class action lawsuit!

Hi all

I have been very happy with my Canon MG5350 which I purchased in Sept 2011

However, as you all, I now have the dreaded U052 error problem

I carefully tried the clear instructions (4 times) from Canon to correct this error but it still did not work

The very strange thing is (like many of you) that one minute its working fine - the next use it brings up the error code without any ink changes or mechanical manipulations. I also have a very good power supply surge/spike arrestor connected and working fine at the main power supply. so it has nothing to do with surges.

Can I still apply late for the Class  Action?

I strongly complain to Canon for not having rectified this serious error earlier. It gives me little reason to go back to Canon! This MG5350 of mine is now the 4th  Canon printer I have owned and I have been loyal to Canon. Because Canon has obviously not made any effort to assist loyal Canon buyers with this issue I am now forced to look invest in other competitors printer models as I do not wish a simialr problem to occur again with this awful Canon attitude as evidenced in this and other forums.

Steve

(Australia)

You know Jim, I am a Christian also but your posts are totally irrelevant to this matter and you are probably being a bad witness by what you post.

Canon was taken to court in a class action suit.

They made a cash or voucher settlement to owners of specific printer models(listed on site):

http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com/

But the deadline to file a claim was December 7, 2015.

Final settlement was postponed. A "fairness hearing" is cheduled for February 26, 2016.

Canon's behavior and actions have been shameless and unscrupulous during this process. When you called customer service, they pushed you to buy another Canon printer at a discount price or a new printer head at full price(with no guarantee of problem resolution). NO MENTION WAS MADE of the case or the settlement until and unless it was specifically brought up by the customer caller. THEN AND ONLY THEN, would customer service refer you to the website listed above.

I filed my claim and informed community members about the settlement in a prior posting. Canon considers this a closed matter, pending final case disposition.

CLEARLY, THEY HAVE SHOWN ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD WILL TOWARD LOYAL CUSTOMERS, It took a class action suit to get Canon to own up to its own product defects!

Divorce Canon and move on!

Stephen

Canon is listening, and we appreciate your comments.  We are investigating, and expect to have a resolution soon.  Updates will be shared as information becomes available.  Thanks for your feedback and participation in our forum.

Meanwhile.... many of us have moved on, purchased a different brand of printer/scan/fax machine. We are left with never used ink cartridges, the lovely , new unusable printer , and have to set our budget to buy ink for the new printer.  Could there be some compensation, exchange, central collection bin.... for unused Canon ink cartridges?  A coupon for ??? There are many excellent and dedicated Canon users who have been betrayed.  Not once has there been a formal announcement in the news,where there is a first and last name with a title behind it apologizing and reimbursing for the printhead issue.  I received a note from a Christa( no last name)... and I didn't believe it was from Canon, so I never returned the machine for the one they would send me ( which will have a print head error in the next 18 months,).... Thanks.

Announcements