cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Sascha
Apprentice

Pixima MX712

Tried all recommended fixes per software instructions. Called Tech support, they gave me the same options I already tried and told me within a few minutes to buy a new printer. My unit still looks brand new and is just over a year old (out of warranty of course).

Also, I have been only using genuine Cannon cartridges and I keep my unit covered with a light cloth to keep dust out when not in use.

kitkat7210
Apprentice

I have to be extremely pleased or extremely disappointed to post on forums.  I'm extremely disappointed.

Canon MG5220, very light home use

Error U052

Did the printhead removal thing multiple times.  Nothing.  Not happy at all.  Is there a Twitter hashtag I should use?

brownkerry
Apprentice

Just got the error message today. When I called Canon they told me to buy a new printer. I just bought all this ink for the printer too! What poor customer service from such a big company. I will not be buying any more Canon products after this!

gyrzvy
Apprentice

I've had my MG5220 for several years now and now all of a sudden I get hit with the U052 message. Tried doing everything I could like removing the printer head and carefully cleaning wiping it clean, setting it back, waiting for 10 minutes. Still had that error message popup, now I can't even use the printer to do anything anymore, like scanning documents. If this doesn't get fixed soon, I'll be moving on to another printer that's not manufactured by Canon.

lnelson135
Apprentice

Last night I received the dreaded message on my Mx700. This is awful. It was in the middle of an important print job. I am extremely surprised that Cannon have not addressed this issue. I have also cleaned the print head. I am going to try one more time and then purchase another brand(not Cannon).

cchristiano2730
Apprentice

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the MX870.  Need a good 4 in 1 printer. 

skicolorado
Contributor

The CLI-226 ink cartridges are sold.  Thanks everyone for the help in mitigating the pain of losing my MX892 printer.

Pipotron3000
Apprentice

Just going to trash an MP610 now...

Tried every (useless) tricks on the net : heads cleaning in pure water for 24 hours, cleaning all contacts (heads+cartridges), every possible combination of reseating, full service reset, unplug/replug voodoo...

Dead is dead.

Between a Konica-Minolta laser costing an arm, and Canon inkjet with BIG conception error (or may be voluntary chip programming INSIDE the heads)...it is time going back to EPSON.

I had a very old "750 stylus photo" working a LOT more than any of those craps. May be HP, too ?

Don't know...but not Konica Minolta or Canon.

PS : i will check now everything is broken if there is a chip inside heads...

timadams
Apprentice

My printer is an MX882. What is the solution to correcting this U052 error? Thankyou, Tim

htid
Apprentice

My perfectly working MP600 has just encountered the U052 error in between print jobs for seemingly no reason. I'm extremely disheartened that there seems to be little I can do after reading this thread.

I have tried the suggested 'fixes' provided by Canon to no avail. I wonder if they are finding a fix as they said they are earlier in this thread.

Announcements