cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Welcome to our crappy corner of the Canon kingdom.

keep in mind that there are numerous class actions progressing. Google will point you the right way.......

I have recently purchased an HP 8610 and could not be happier. 

Sorry Canon I firmly believe that you sabotaged your own products in order to malfunction, therefore consumers would either have to buy another one of your products, or send it in to be fixed at an exorbitant cost with the fix being as expensive as a new printer. 

I understand that large companies such as yourself sell many products.  However when research was conducted it is apparent that this is not an isolated incident.

Nice marketing scheme, I will admit.  It will keep your sales up for the uninformed and keep shareholders/Wall Street happy.  I however am done with your business.

CANON, Here's what your link goes:

canon site error.jpg

Hey, Canon-

The reseat instructions have been posted SOOOO many times!  Not to be mean about it, but it should be obvious that the procedure is not working, and that you (Canon) have a major problem with the printhead/circuitry on so many models. 

The printer I bought was less than 4 months old and had just indicated it needed ink.  I spent the money to get new cartridges and this error occurs.  Not only have I wasted money on the cartridges, you want to charge for repairs?? With the track record that I see with this issue, you should be recalling the printers and fixing the problem for free.

I'm having a similar problem: error 5200 with my Canon Pixma MP610

Two days ago my printer was working fine, now it will do nothing.

I can't even check printheads since nothing is working and there seems no way to extricate them manually.

I was recommending canon printers to a friend for her business the other day but unless Canon gives me some way to solve this problem, I am going to be recommending something else.

Also frustratingly, I have no idea how to get a Canon manual for this printer. I've tried finding it on the canon site but it just gives me a link to download drivers which I don't want. I just got a user guide with the printer and do not have a cd drive in my macbook air.  

It is extremely unprofessional to tell someone to look in the manual and not provide this EASILY for someone to get from the Canon website.  

I got a private message from canonPM    People you need to check your email for PM    Canon said they will replace my printer.  Will see how that goes. I promise to post the results.MP600

I too am having the error on an MP 610. The Canon suggested steps didn't work for me too.

Any other thoughts, before buying an HP, or something else?

MP-620B same issue!!! Major time waster trying to reset this U052 non-sense. "Wrong printhead" WOW! Worded differently I may not be so pissed off! I was one click away from biting the bullet and buying the new "wrong" printhead. Then I ended up here...

Even though my Canon was only a little over a year old when I got the evil UO52 error, I went to the Apple Store and bought an HP prinetr yesterday. I'm done with Canon.

Yeah... I almost bought a new one for my printer and instead just bought a new printer because it isn't all that much more than the **bleep** printhead and I knew it would work.  Jokes on me when the next POS did the same thing.  I WILL NEVER BUY CANON AGAIN!

Announcements