cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Frank22
Apprentice

Got the problem too with MG5220.

hbcanonuser
Apprentice

I have just had this error message on my MP500.

I bought an all in one scanner/printer because it seemed like a good idea.

Although this might affect printing, this doesn't even allow me to scan now!

I  have looked at forums etc, and followed advice. I have had it working for a short time, but it has reverted back to this error now, and is totally unusable.

I was thinking that I might need to buy a new printhead after all, but looking at forums about this, I am concerned that a new one might not work for long either if this is a firmware 'feature' that Canon have built in.

I've been very happy with quality of my printer, although it does seem to get upset sometimes when Canon's own ink cartridges are installed!

Canon! Are you trying to leave the printer market? Or are you coming up with a fix for this? Any guarantee that if I got a new printhead that it might work?

rynotucker
Apprentice

Hi Canon, I hear your will replace my MP610 Printer. I bought it to print on CD and the errors U052 and U051 just will not go away.

limcomplaint123
Apprentice

I have the same dreaded UO52 wrong printhead error shown on my 15 months old printer.  What a shame.

astark
Apprentice

Count me in also. I'm very disappointed in Canon...I've recommended them to many friends, family, and work associates because I've had great luck up until now.  I'm really surprised that they're not stepping up and either fixing or replacing these printers!

I've got a MX882 with the U052 problem and no luck so far with a verified, reasonable fix. I just bought Canon ink and am don't want to dump more money into it on solutions that may or may not work....based on my reading posts here and on the web. 

Numa
Apprentice
OfficeWorks here has a deal where they take back your old printer for 50 dollars when you buy a new one. Going with that and definitely not getting a new Canon...

lel
Apprentice
I have just discovered this forum after spending alot of money on new ink refills for my mp610 printer which I was very happy with until now. I'm seeing many others have the same error message regarding the printer head. I'd just ordered another Canon printer for a family member, but I'm tempted to send it back. I would love to be sent the private message from canon to replace the printer, as I hardly used it, but when I did it did a great job-until now. Sure hope canon will provide improved customer service.

wmwebster
Apprentice

Well I guess I've fallen victim to this error message as well. We've done several things to try to get the printer to work again to no avail! We have a Canon Pixma MX 892 and have had it only about a year and a half. Replaced the black ink and this is what happened!

Overall my experience with buying printers has been super frustrating. I think nothing is made they way it should be and printer companies in general plan for your printer to work a limited amount of time only to completely stop working due to some error that ends up unfxable!

Guess we'll be going to Best Buy in the morning and of course would happen when I need to print address labels for wedding invitations. As if planning a wedding isn't stressful enough!

missamis
Contributor

Yeah... I called today too.  The offered me a new printer to purchase that OF COURSE used DIFFERENT ink than this one.. but would send me a new set of ink.  This is the SECOND printer to do this to me... I'm paying you people NOTHING.  I went and bought an Epson today.

Chemistry
Apprentice

Ugh.

I thought I was just unlucky - until I came here.  I can tell the exact same story as all of you:

Pixma MX892 - 13 months old.  Working fine until yesterday morning - U052 error.  Called Canon. Tried all the steps they suggest - nothing helps.  Even went so far as to take the printhead out and try to clean it with isopropyl ("rubbing") alcohol.  No help there.

Very frustrating.  Canon, of course, offered me the Pixma 992 at the "loyalty" price of ~$120 some odd dollars - laughed at the rep as I was looking  at the 992 page on Amazon for 99 while she was informing me of the "special sale".

I'm very frustrated to say the least - I'm also done with Canon printing products.

Announcements