cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

enchiladas
Apprentice

I just wasted about 30 minutes of my life talking to Canon.  I have a MG8120 that showed up with the U052 error in between two print jobs.  After trying a number of different suggested fixes with no success I decided to call Canon to see what they could do for me.  First I talked to the Tech guy who said that with what everything that I have done, the next step would be to take it to be serviced which doesn’t seem to be reasonable given the value of the printer.  He said that they could offer me a great discount through their Service Exchange Program where I send my printer in for free (using a prepaid box) and they will send out a new printer in exchange. Of course none of the new printers take the same ink cartridges I have which is awful since I have about 5 replacements sets ready to use. He said since I had so much extra ink they would give me an extra set if I did the exchange program.  I said OK, let’s see what they can do for me.  So then I talk to the Service guy.  He said the replacement for my current model would be a new MG6420 for the discounted price of $125.99.  I immediately look on Amazon where I can buy the same printer for $105.95, and free shipping, without having to ship my old one back.  I told him this and he said there is nothing he can do, that is already Canon’s “discounted price” off a $199 printer.  I said that if that is the best they are going to do for me that I will not purchase a Canon as my next printer as that isn’t really an acceptable option.  He said he was sorry to hear that - end of conversation.  This is a very sad conclusion to my printer situation.  I have loved having Canon printers over the years and have been a very loyal customer and now feel compelled to spend my money elsewhere.  

I think that has been a difficult thing for a lot of us. Many of us were really pleased with our Canon products until this happened.

You are so right faithful.

The bad thing is, that I really like the printer, it's easy to use, produces a good printing quality etc.

But the truth is that I am affraid to buy another one, because I strongly believe that this problem exists already  longer than we all  think and Canon is willing to admit...

I will have to consider buying a non- canon multifunctional.

Lynn123
Apprentice

I too have this problem with the U052 error message. My printer is a different model from all I see on this forum: MX712.   I sent an email to Canon support and received a quick response, however their solution is to charge me for a new printer at 25% off of retail.  This is unacceptable and since I use my printer for our business, I need to replace it soon.  Are they still offering replacements on this forum?

I returned my printer to Costco for a full refund and purchased a different brand.  Costco will accept returns of printers for a full 2 years after purchase, my printer was 22 months old.  Well worth the membership fee! 

Add me to the list. Have had my Canon MX890 for little over a year. I've changed all the ink cartridges before without a problem. But this time, a few days ago...Wrong Print Head error. 

That Canon keeps running out the same 'fix' suggestion - to pull the cartridges and print head out, turn the power off, etc., etc....is INEXCUSABLE. 

scwalthall
Apprentice

I have the same problem with a lightly used MG5320. Told by Canon that it is a faulty sensor issue that can be reset at most repair shops. Called around and found one that said they could reset the sensor for $45. Canon is now one of those companies that expects others to solve their problems. I take responsibility for my own mistakes. I'll solve this one by taking my business elsewhere.

And suggest to your friends that they all do the same.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Today, i did what is the only sensible thing in my opinion: I bought a Brother printer.

Shame on you Canon, you really had one truly satisfied customer until this...

Gizmo1bw
Apprentice

We have a few Canon printers in the office from the Pixma line MG5320 and MX922,

One printer showed the u052 error message,

We bought a new genuine print head and replaced it, and still get the same error message.

This is frustrating, to pay for a new head just as the message asks us to do, and not be able to get the printer working again... this should never happen, if something else in the printer is wrong, the message should be different, but if it says to go and buy a new head, and it does not resolve the issue, Canon just got a disappointed loyal customer...

Not to mention the fact that this error message is stopping the whole machine, we are an office here, we need to fax and scan, and we cannot do anything with this printer now.  I wonder what Canon service will tell me on Monday...

We know it can be better Canon, we do not deserve this kind of operation from a respected company who wish to keep its customers happy. We pay for Canon ink, we buy original parts, so the machine should work for long time...

We design machines and other products for other customers, and such an issue would never be accepted by any of our customers...

Hope someone at Canon reads these and understands that this reality must change, or else Canon will lose their customers to better companies that respect their customers and not getting them to feel frustrated after doing exactly what the error message says...

Update from 6.18.2014:

Spoke with Canon service about me buying a new print head and it did not help, Canon will not refund me for the head since I opened the package... so now no printer and I spent $100 more on the new head.

Canon offered to send me a set of ink cartridges for our newer model MX922, thank you Canon.

But the main issue is still not resolved, why does the printer tell to replace the print head when this is not the issue???

Canon told me to send the printer to their authorized service person in my area, I went there and agreed to pay $25 for the diagnostic of the printer. The final conclusion was that the main electronic board died, to replace it with genuine parts it would cost $250 while I can get a new printer for $100 at Amazon with free shipping...

Canon then suggested me to contact the loyal customer program, I called them, and they offered me a new MX922 for $149.99 with free shipping. I told them that the same printer sells for $99.99 on Amazon, so they told me that my best bet is with Amazon...

I paid 99.99 for the MX922, free shipping, and bought a 4 year warranty plan for $19.95, while Canon offered only two year warranty for $90...

My conclusion from all of this, is that when the errors like u052 appear, it does not worth to fix the printer, I will never make this mistake of buying a print head again for these machines, 

I feel frustrated with all of this, this is not how we should be treated by any company that respects its customers...

Announcements