cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

If that was the case then why does replacing the print head not fix the issue?

It fixed the issue for me.  However, if Canon is manufacturing products which can only operate withtheir specific viscosity ink, I think they would be liable for prosecution under anti-competition laws.

Boy!!!

Greg sucked you right into his lies hook, line and sinker and you fell for it like a fool.

You need to educate yourself on how much canon sucks and how they do not give a **bleep** about there customers. It is all over the web.

I have always used canon inks in my printer and I got the wrong printhead error message. I replaced the circuit board in my printer with a used one and using the same printhead the **bleep** thing started to work. Has been working ever since. So that tells me that they have put something in the curcuit board that causes the wrong printhead error message and it is not the printhead that is the problem.

I would never recommend canon products to anybody at this point.

Sad to say canon your ship is sinking

its too bad because i have always only used the cannon ink brand and still got this issue. i was able to print nice photos as well which is why I bought this printer and stayed with cannon, but I ant do it any longer since it froze everything up.

flash23
Contributor

I also tried sending an email to the following address: CanonForum@cits.canon.com

This is the reply I received:

Dear Canon Forum Community Member,

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email address, as it is only for out going email from the Canon Forum.

We are very eager to hear from you, but to ensure we receive your message go to the Canon Forum (www.forums.usa.canon.com).

We look forward to your visiting us often!

The Canon Forum

Looks like another standard and bogus reply Canon has drafted in response to the still unresolved mystery of the U052 Error Message. 

Chauk up another one, as myCanon MX712 in EUC (but inoperatable) is headed to the local computer recycling center. If anyone needs slightly used & new/unused but opened Ink Cartridges for a Series MX700 at a steal like price, look for my listing on e bay.  I am moving forward by installing my new Brother All-In-One Multifunction MFCJ879DW this afternoon.

Best of luck to all. Let me know if anyone starts the lawsuit, you can count me in. 

The weird thing is that since my MP830 croaked, I keep waiting for my MG8120 to breathe it's last.  It still works fine even though the ink purge tray got stuck the other night.  At least that's an easy troubleshoot.

I had held out hope that Canon would come through on this problem, but I have to finally admit that it isn't going to happen.  Although I did like my MP610, it's toast and I'll be looking at other brands, since I won't to go through this with another Canon printer.  And I'll make sure that anyone I speak with is aware of the problem with Canon printers.  I'll keep posted, though, and be ready to join if there are any developments on the class action front.

Yes, I think spreading the word by all means at our disposal to warn people about Canon's attitude toward its customers is the way to go. Social media sites, etc. Youtube, etc. I have started with expat British forums in France. I've started hearing about more and more instances of this fault locally.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

MP600 same symptoms, I tried all suggestions. Canon please make this right.

Call me paranoid BUT.... isn't odd how so many different printers have the exact same issue??  Model number after model number, all hooked up to networks that can communicate with Canon USA.  Obviously, I had no idea if its even possible but frankly it's a money maker for Canon.  How many people have bought new printer heads?  How many people bought new printers?  Regardless, it's apparent that Canon doesnt not seem to care enough to help us.

Announcements