cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

terathopius
Apprentice

Problem experienced on model MP640.

Procedure at - 

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

provided resolution.

cabunag60
Apprentice

Sadly my Canon MP970 started showing the U052 message for no reason, turned it off then on would work for a while then the error would come back, i tried removing the ink and printhead, everthing looked fine, same problem, would print now and again, now it wont even power up. It was such a good pinter i used it lightly for some Family photos, the ink cost nearly seventy pounds to replace, but the photos where worth it, but another printhead at over 100 pounds, is too much to justify.

Even if i did get another printhead it might not work, why wont it power up at all now, i have always bought Canon products since i was young, i still have my Canon A1 camera from the 70s and it still works, why is this printer having so many problems with its printhead, thanks for reading.

Billcran01
Apprentice

Same problem with  PIXMA MP610. Occurred immediately after I uploaded a driver update, but I don't know if that's a coincidence. Cleaned the print head (the hot water method) and got about 6 sheets printed before the problem reoccurred. Tried all suggestions from Canon with no positive results.

Canon450
Apprentice

I have recently encountered the dreaded "U052 Print Head" messaage on my MP610, which has been a dependable printer for some time. My experience with it led me to purchase an MX892 as a FAX machine. My experience with Canon in trying to get an answer to the U052 problem has been a text book case in "How to Anger the Customer". I have been a Canon fan with cameras, lenses, all-in-one printers, etc. But I am beginning to sense that my esteem for the brand may have been misplaced.

I will check in here regularly to see if any solutions to the problem is forthcoming.

dvanderson
Apprentice

Add me to the list of upset users!  My MG5320 stopped printing between sheets of paper--no changes in cartridges or anything.  After replacing cartridges, gently cleaning the print head contacts, reseating the print head, and turning it off & on, the problem remains.  How do I get in line for a fix?

(The worst part is that I stockpiled ink on a sale at Christmas--none of the newer ones use the same ink)

schmokef
Apprentice

Same issue with my MP610. Sounds like a new printer from a different company is the only answer. Not about to drop $120 on a printer head that doesn't fix the problem. Already out $56 in ink cartridges. What a complete waste of my time and money. CANON (all CANON products)? Never again! Off to Amazon to rate their products accordingly....junk!

Hexadecimus
Contributor

Same problem.  I was using our MP970 and the black tank ran out.  I carefully removed it and replaced it, and... U052.  I was very careful. There was no static buildup, I didn't mishandle anything.  I work on computers, laptops, and smartphones for a living.  I know how to handle parts much more delicate than an ink cartridge designed for the average user to replace.

On top of that, someone is still manufacturing and even refurbishing these from Hong Kong, probably the plant contracted to make the original parts.  They often do that in HK/China and sell gray market items and parts, sometimes with the original branding removed or covered.

Who do they think they're fooling?  All of us suckers who bought these printers, I guess...

steenth
Contributor

MX892, what a POS!  got the dreaded U052 this am.  I have gone through maybe 1000 prints, maybe less.  Plus it's a ink hog, just attrocious!

Canon sucks

Geomath
Enthusiast
I have had this problem too on my MP610.
How can one run diagnostics when you cannot get past the U051/2 error display?
What is wrong with my print head???
Why should I pay more for the head than for a new printer?
I am really £$%^ed off with Canon

steenth
Contributor

Canon Please replay to this thread the fix you suggested does not work.  I have not used 1000 sheets of paper yet and get a totally locked up printer is inexcusable.  what is the work around, you MUST HAVE ONE?

Announcements