cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

me too if it goes to class action

susnyk
Apprentice

Me, too.  MP620.  Printed just fine yesterday - today the error.  Before I found this forum, I spent about three hours, including going out and buying new ink.   No luck. 

jacorallo
Apprentice
I have just had the dreaded uo52 appear after replacing 2 ink heads. I am so disappointed in Canons quality control which up to now has been very good. With the cost of a replacement printhead it is more economical to buy a new one. Sad day for the environment!! Class action I am in!!!

llamee
Apprentice

I want in also.  This is my second MX series printer to give me the same problem.  I'm switching to another brand as I'm tired of buying replacement printers.  This time, it's the MX892 that is giving me the problem.

chadthehuff
Apprentice

I get the same dreaded U052 or UO52 error with the MX712. The printer isn't even a year old and it isn't used heavily so I'm frustrated that this issue is even happening.

hawkeyefan23
Apprentice

Add me to the list of people outraged by this.  I use my MP610 about once a month at most, then when I turned it on the other day the dreaded U052 error.  Consensus on best replacement printer brand?  Canon what is the fix for this?

dprather
Apprentice

Add me to the growing list of unhappy customers.  I printed a page yesterday on my MG5320.  Went to print another page and computer said "Printer Offline"  Sure enough it had powered off. When I turned it on, U0052. Jeez. Nothing I've tried has resolved the issue.

This has been a great printer and I'm a loyal fan. Cannot believe this is happening.  Replacement head is $100-$130. 

I'm in for class action .

Matsumura
Apprentice

Wow, here I thought this was an isolated incident. Add another dissatisfied CANON customer to the list! I have an MP600 thats worked flawlessly for years then it sat a few months without being used because I have another Canon printer we use. So, the printer ran out of ink so we bought 2 packs of 5 ink cartridges over $100.00 in cost just to find out my MP600 I was going to make buisness cards gave me the dreded "U052 Wrong Printhead Error". I notified Canon for help, some surprise there-not. I have tried the usual: power on and off, disconnect power cord, disconnect data cord, reset the printhead over and over and over, well you get the idea, cleaned printhead with warm water. All this to no avail. I hope Canon makes good on this. I work for the largest aircraft manufacture that make planes we all fly on, I will definiely let the IT division know about all the different Canon models with problems. I won't buy a new printhead because people in this forum are not having any luck with that but, I have one idea left to try and that is uninstall the the printer software and reinstall it without updating it and see if that will over ride the U052 code. How dumb is it where a code makes an all in one printer useless! Very unhappy.....camper.

MLundblad
Apprentice

Same U052 message on my MP560 - no other previous issues. About a month ago I replaced several ink cartridges with Canon brand ink cartridges - printer was working fine after the replacements and then U052.  Tried every solution suggested on other forums and on Canon's forum - multiple times - nothing has worked. Can't waste any more time on this issue. 

For this printer, you spend $70 dollars to purchase a set of ink cartidges - for a $130 printer. 

Off to buy another printer - will not be a Canon! CANON BUYERS BEWARE!

zanne1950
Contributor

mp600 same problem u052 message out of nowhere

Announcements