cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Yes. I got one today as well.

I received my replacement printer 2 days ago and got it set up.  I had an MX892 and the replacement is a MX922.  I don't know what the differences are between the old and new printer other than the fact that the new printer uses DIFFERENT INK CARTRIDGES.  Smiley Frustrated  The new printer did come with a set of new cartridges though so I just have some spares for the 892 that I will pass on.

I got the new printer setup and it seems to be working well.  I'm hopeful that any software/hardware issues that were causing the U052 issue were resolved before the MX922 was made.

Good for Canon Seems they are taking care of people   Just need to contact them     Guess it is in their best interest to keep people in canon printers since the real $ seems to be in the ink.

Hi eclypse3demons,

I received the same Private Message from canonfriends today and have sent in my reply.  Apparently the individuals on this forum have prompted Canon to take action.  And it's an appreciated offer, even though I have already purchased another printer.  I would really like to know what they are going to do about this problem with regards to their current and future products.

I love my Canon cameras and have owned Canon Printers in the past. My Canon iP4000 lasted many years before it also experienced a Printhead failure. The printer lasted around 10 years so I wasn't too disappointed. However 1 to 2 years is completely not acceptable.

Hello to all.

My Canon MP610 printer now is being recycled despite there is nothing really wrong with it. What a waste!

I now am the happy owner of a BROTHER DCP-J925DW WiFi which does everything (and more) my MP610 did, including printing on disk, at less than half the price the Canon repair was quoted. (AU$ 129 with full ink tanks).

My advice to everyone:

DUMP YOUR CANON AND GET A DECENT PRINTER.

From me: goodbye Canon, never again.

It would be interesting to see who is getting the private messages with an offer to exchange. Certainly not Canon SA in South Africa. If you are a global brand then you should act global. We have a brilliant website in South Africa called HelloPeter.com where consumers voice their issues and get action. That gets me thinking ...

This is the first action that anyone has reported since this forum started ... divide and rule ... I call it.

Got PM from Canon today, re replacement.

So user "RealEstateinMic" mentioned that he was contacted by Canon for a free replacement (even if the broken printer is already out of warranty)?

I am trying to determine if the note from :Christa is a scam.   One would think there would be a formal statement to the public that Canon will send you a replacement model... while they service your Canon... which you have to mail to them..... I think it is baloney...... I told them..... Why isn't there a public announcement..... and who is Christa????/ Shouldn't the letter come from a Vice President.... or someone with a title...... and formally announce.... All Canons may be sent to the manufacturer????/

It's not a scam, they actually send you a new printer, comparable to the one with the 502 error.  You then use the box, and return shipping label included, to mail back your defective printer.  I have gone back and forth with Canon Friends and all emails are coming from Canon directly., including RMA authorizations and shipping notices. I even backchecked the initial email address itself and it does appear on Canon's website.  If it was a scam, i think they would not  send a printer until you sent yours in, leaving a bit of ambiguity if your\d ever receive a new one.

Announcements