cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Sylvie_987
Apprentice
Me too MG6220

I have had Error Code 1403 Wrong Print Head on my MX725 for a couple of weeks now. The printer is only 16 months old and not heavily used. I have cleaned the printhead gold contacts and mating connector with an isopropyl alcohol / trichlorotrifluoroethane solvent mix. It has made no difference.

I have found that if you set up a print job when the printer is switched off, then switch the printer on, it prints the job before locking up with the error message. This proves that there is nothing wrong with the printhead. Same thing for a scan job - it does the scan then locks up.

Try resetting the electronics:  (I got mine going for now)

• Turn the printer off
  • Once it has completely turned off, remove the power cable (don't just unplug it from power although I don't know if it really matters)
  • Leave it off for at least 15 minutes
  • Reconnect the power cable and turn the printer back on and see what happens.

I did the whole thing about removing the print head and the inks first and then the above. It's working for now. It was going back and forth before (get the error, turn it off, print a page, get the error, etc etc. But I've printed more this time around).

I have the same "Incorrect Print Head... blah blah blah" message on my MX922 printer.  Tried all options as suggested above.  No improvement.  I went a couple steps farther.  I purchased Canon Pixma MG6821 for $40 on the internet.  One of the reasons I bought this particular printer is because it uses the same ink cartridges AND print head as my MX922. I swapped print heads and got the same message.  I put the supposed "incorrect print head" from my mx922 into my new MG6821 and it worked fine (no surprise).  

I just got off the phone with Canon tech support.  They offered no help other than to suggest that I take or send my printer to a service center for repair.  I called a service center in my area a couple days ago and was told that the service charge would be $80 .... plus parts and labor.  

This will be my LAST Canon purchase.  They can take their products and attitude and kiss my behind.

I just picked up a printer at a yard sale and turned it on to find the same error message. After some inspection with a flashlight, I noticed one of the contact points on printer head carriage was bent sideways. They're tiny, delicate, and spring loaded. Use a micro flat-head screwdriver or tweezers to bend the contact point back straight and gently push on it to make sure it can be pushed back. Just be very careful replacing the print head. Worked for me, hope it works for you.

Suggestion re checking Print heads to see if Bent may work for some and obviously I hope it does. The fact is though that there are so many posts where no Fixes work, that the main issue is clearly an error in the software which reports the Problem, and prevents ANY fourther use of the Printer.My latest communication from Canon advises 1) the Settlement of the Class Action Suit in US does not have any bearing on UK Market, and 2) they have offered 20% off price on any Printer purchased from theit own site, with a Code to action, but cannot be used with any offer already available;  (thay have £30 discounts on some of range). The 20% is worthless, the discount only reduces the price to that available through most Shops and on-line retailers.

The offer is I suggest tacit acceptance they know it is a problem. Does anyone know if there is a UK equivalent to US Class Action Law Suit? Canon obviously only respond to legal action, widespread dissatisfaction and a very bad reputation in the Market place doesn't bother them at all.

macnicol
Enthusiast

Does anyone know what internal part failure, other than the printhead, can cause this error code?  Would like to fix my MP960 using parts from other MP960s if possible.

MX870

Canon is really trying to avoid this issue. When I called to complain the best they would do is offer a %25 discount on the compatible MX 922, plus it was on sale . The cost quoted was $129. AMAZON OFFERS IT FOR $90 !! No more canon printers for me.

I read in a post a number of days ago that a fellow forum member was told that the Canon U052 was due to a circuit board problem. If this circuit board has a malfunctioning component that is of such small dimension that it would be difficult for the average user to repair or for Canon to service cost effectively, they're going to deny, deny, deny this problem.

This is the attitude that's encouraged in most business venues today. So don't be too surprised.

I'm happy with my current Epson Workforce Printer and will be finding a solution to the need to spend $67 for new ink

cartridges.

With my older, defunct Canon IP4000 Printer, I was able to refill the ink cartridges with ease and loved that printer which lasted about 8 years.

That longevity of my older Canon printer was the reason why I purchased the previous Canon MG5320 that produced the dreaded U052 error after about a year of use.

And the short lifespan is was I changed Printer Companies to Epson.

Canon should take a queue from GM, Ford, Toyota and other car manufacturers who are recalling defective products to

intice their customers to stay with their respective brands.

And New Contributors should read the previous postings. Canon isn't going to fix this problem. I would bet that the Engineers know the root-cause of the problem but the cost to fix this would be mind boggling. So they're reading, watching, editing, deleting and seeing when the masses quiet done.

I'll be surprised if this posting reaches the Internet.

Well #CanonU052Error and a Facebook Page will not be too far off as a way of informing the other masses.

Announcements