cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

shaval123
Enthusiast
They ask for feedback in a survey and after you put your negative feedback you get a message saying your feedback can't be submitted.

CANON TRULY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ITS PRINTER CUSTOMERS.  IT HAS BEEN PROVEN NUMEROUS TIMES.  THE ONLY RECOURSE IS TO NEVER EVER BUY A CANON PRODUCT AGAIN.  SPREAD THE WORD !!

cgplenty
Apprentice

Pixma MX860

Same issue, stopped suddenly while printing, and have had/used the same printer head (factory) for years (almost 10)!

Still happening.  My MG5350S has just come up with the same u052 error message.  I have now wasted two new print cartridges and cleaned the printhead, but it is still not working.  Very disappointing to see that Canon have completely failed to resolve this issue.

I guess that I'll be buying a new ptinter tomorrow.  Hmm, what brand shall I choose?  Will it be Canon?  Not blxxdy likely!!!  I am mad, so goodbye Canon.

Melika
Apprentice

I am as mad as an entire nest of wasps, right now! My husband bought me the Canon Pixma MX892 a few years ago because I still have my last Canon printer (a BJC-50, which was one of the first portable printers available) and it still works. I wanted to upgrade and loved my Pixma MX892! That was until today. Right in the middle of printing pictures for a memorial for my cat that just died, I got the errors B200 and then the U052 error message about having the wrong print head! I have always used Canon brand printer cartridges and have always kept up on all the required maintenance of this printer. There is absolutely no reason for a printer that's only a few years old to just stop working! Especially when I still have another Canon printer that is much older, that has no issues!

Canon: I've seen countless people on countless forums with this same problem, with multiple models of your printers. You owe it to your customers to do something about it! Give us a trade in value, towards a new printer, or something! I have been a long time customer. I've bought multiple printers, cameras, and endless amounts of printer cartridges, none of which have been cheap! I've always used brand name cartridges and followed the instruction manuals and maintained my printers well. This is inexcusable!

I am now setting out on a mission to blast the internet with the message that Canon, knowingly, makes faulty printers. I am going to post to social media using various hashtags to make sure I reach as many people as humanly possible. You can't keep selling bunk products and stay in business. Eventually, enough people will hear about it and stop buying your products. I don't care if I have to stand in front of Best Buy with a sign, I'm going to make sure people know about this! Lots of people!

I will never buy a Canon product, again! 

I have been using my Pixma MX892 for six years and suddenly it displayed the dreaded U052 wrong printhead code. My previous Canon printer did the same thing after only 3 years of operation and customer service suggested that I replace it and she gave me a significant discount on a new printer. With 2 consecutive printers being disabled by the same code and no official instructions on how to fix it, other than buy a new one, I am switching to a different manufacturer. 

PMcM
Apprentice
Exact same problem

If it wasn't for this error and Canon's lack of support, I wouldn't have bought a Brother laser printer and been completely satisfied with it, although it only prints black. I get hundreds of sheets and don't have to be bothered with buying overpriced inkjet cartridges.... ever again. So... Thank you and Goodbye Canon.

No_happy_canper
Apprentice

So after 18 months my MG5320 came up with the dreaded U052.  Followed the usless instructions from Canon on how to fix.  I though cool this will work.  Wrong.  Then found this thread and realized it's not the printhead but Canon's "Crippleware".  In the past I have recomended Canon printers as mine has done a great job.  But now I question that logic.  

Very fustrated right now.

Hi No_happy_canper,

I have the same printer (MG5320) and also experienced the dreaded U052 error. I have received a replacement printer based on the response to a Private Message I received from Canon.  So contact Canon directly and make your voice heard.  Although I had already purchased another replacement printer, I'm at least a little satisfied that Canon Friends made the gesture of sending me a replacement printer. I'm not satisfied with the fact that this error continues to pop up and I'm a LOT concerned that this new printer may exhibit the same problem after a year to 18 months of use.

*Could it be that firmware is being designed now to have the hardware fail slightly after the Warranty expires?

If you're listening Canon and I know you are, whoever came up with this concept, if it exists, should be IMMEDIATELY

FIRED with NO Golden Parachute. We're all part of the Matrix now called the internet and the shared knowledge is

a powerful mechanism that causes change in the right direction.

One would think that if this was a firmware issue, there would be a remedy available where you could update the firmware in the I2C (I-squared-C) static memory module to resolve this issue. Since other forum contributors have found that replacing the printhead did not resolve their issue with the U052 error, it must be some systemic problem that may be difficult to resolve in a cost-effective manner.

Maybe the ASIC or VLSI chip has this failure mechanism embedded in it's design and a recall of all of these printers would

get some Vice President fired so they're trying to perform some triage.

Canon we really would like for you to fix this problem.

Announcements