cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

GuzCanon
Contributor
Just got the dreaded 1403 error message on my pixma MX922 printer!!!
“The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head”.
First time I’ve ever had this message. Any resolves?

Hi GuzCanon,

You can try performing a reset of the printer. While the printer is on, unplug the power cord from the printer and let it sit for 60 seconds. While the power is off, press the power button 5 times. After 60 seconds plug the power cord back in and power on the printer.

If that does not resolve the issue, the print head has failed. You can order parts through our Parts department. Please note that items purchased directly from our parts department are not returnable and there is a chance that it will not correct the issue you are currently experiencing.

For the price and availability of parts, please contact the Parts department below by calling them directly at 1-866-481-2569 between the hours of 9 AM to 7 PM (ET) Monday to Friday.

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program. You can order parts through our Parts department. Please note that items purchased directly from our parts department are not returnable and there is a chance that it will not correct the issue you are currently experiencing.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hey. My mp520 has this and I just want to do a scan. So the print head doesn't matter.
Can you tell me how to get the scanning going again? Thanks in advance. 🙂

Sorry Charlie,...Canon wants you to buy a new printer head or,...A BRAND NEW CANON PRINTER!!!! I posted just before you with the same problem. Just wanted to scan something to e-mail it and no such luck. Canon sux. Cat Mad

It's incredible. I'm utterly flabbergasted that Canon allows this hardware philosophy to exist in their products. 

I understand the printer complains about print head if I want to print... But to complain about print head when all I want to do is scan is down right evil. 

I'm disgusted frankly. 

Perhaps you noticed the date of the first post in this group - if not, Jan 30 2014..... yeah, 6 years coming up on 7.  And with 1459 messages it is easily the most complained about problem in the Canon community.  I joined Nov 6 2014, when I got the message - Canon's version of the black screen of death.

There is only one solution for your now totally useless piece of junk: next time you head out to go fishing take it along and you can give your trusty anchor a break.  Tie the printer to the anchor rope and introduce your canon crap to its' new occupation..........

Seriously, once you get the U052 error message you have to accept that it is time to research a new printer/scanner.  Your timing is good - Black Friday sales are already underway.

I have found Eason to be a reliable machine, and with the new refillable ink tank units my printing is WAY LESS expensive.  The scanner is good, and best of all I have gotten twice as many years of service from it than my Canon anchor did.

Just saying...................

Don’t fall for the Canon line (try a reset and if that doesn’t work buy an expensive new printheads). Neither will work. Don’t trust Canon reps, read thru a few pages of posts here for confirmation of my statement.

I'm now dismantling my pixma 520poj (piece of junk) 

I found a little felt brick that slowly soaks up the ink that spills into the machinery. 

20201115_194055.jpg

I've salvaged tge scanner part... Maybe a rasppi can jack in. 🤔

Alright. That's it. Canon disassembled. Alot of plastic, alot of metal, alot of tech. Now it's time to find a new non-canon scanner. Thanks to this thread my plans for a Canon scanner has now completely diminished. 😞

I've heard people in this thread go with Epson and Brother. Never had either so hard to recommend. I've had several HPs, a Canon and a Kodak. Don't go with any of those. Kodak bricks your printer for low ink. It only has one blk and one color cartridges. If either of the 2 is bad you can't print. And they are on a time schedule. Whether you use the ink or not. 3 months down the road,...when you've never used color ink, it will tell you you have no color ink and cannot print. Even if what you want to print is Black and white. I've known people to buy a new printer rather than replace their ink. Printer and ink sales have become one of the biggest scams in America. It has become a "There really should be a law." situation. Cat Mad

Sorry for your loss. Canon paperweights are not cheap. Cat Mad

Announcements