cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

NewAge1
Apprentice

U052 Incorrect printhead error 

FIX: Clean printhead “gold” contacts with a pencil eraser

Notes: All previously tried youtube fixes failed.

Printer: Canon MX700 

Mamicita03
Apprentice
Canon Pixma MX922–Canon technical support told me yesterday that the printer I barely used and had for only 18 mos. now needs to be tossed in the trash because there is no fix for error code 1403. They know this is a problem, as an earlier version also had this same problem and they settled a class action lawsuit. Something needs to be done. Also, their customer service on this known issue is horrible.

NewAge1
Apprentice

U052 Incorrect Printhead TEMPORARY Bypass

Canon MX700 printer printhead diagram

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART114232

NOTE: Scroll down to “Reseating the Print Head” to see the print head

diagrams of print head nozzles, electrical contacts, ink supply ports.

1. I have successfully TEMPORARILY bypassed the U052 incorrect print 

head error on my 11 year old Canon MX700 printer by thoroughly 

cleaning the print head as follows.   The U052 error REOCCURS after 

printing on my printer and with the passage of time (i.e. a few days).

I believe I saw this fix on the Canon Community Forum.

a. Get a flat bottom container and fill it with a 1/4 inch of warm water

and put your print head with the print head nozzles pointed down

in the water.  See print head diagram web link above.

b. Drip warm water onto the ink supply ports too.

See print head diagram web link above.

c. Jiggle the container to jostle the print head to get the

ink out.

d. Repeat steps a, b & c until your water remains clear 

(i.e. no ink remaining).  

e. I dried my print head with the following: paper towels, 

setting it under a desk lamp, air drying overnight.

2. With a clean print head I do not get the U052 error.

3. After printing on my printer a dozen color pages successfully-

1 week later I get the U052 error.   Cleaning the print head 

per note# 1 above and the U052 error goes away.

Other notes include:

1. I cleaned the print head gold contacts & interfacing pins with

CRC Electronics Cleaner & Q-tip.   This cleaner is available 

from an Auto Parts store.   This cleaning did not resolve the

U052 error.

2. Previously cleaned the print head gold contacts with a pencil

eraser which resolved my U052 error.   However, a few days

later the U052 error came back.

Jangel2117
Apprentice

Would love to know if there is any resolution to all of these printer complaints. I, personally, would love some answers, Seems like something is obviously defective for everyone to have the same problems.

Error 1403, MX922- "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head." Many post are over 5 years old. It's 2019 and still experiencing same problems. 

ddmukai
Apprentice
MX 882 -- I've had essentially a similar experience: Printer was going along, working well, no issues, then on one occasion after changing one ink cartridge, I got the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error message. I am currently trying to figure out how to execute some of steps that the Canon Expert (Julius) posted under this particular posting by macnicol (Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error) but where can I find out how to re-seat the printhead? When I click the links in the Canon Expert's posting which are supposed to tell me HOW to perform the procedures which might fix the problem, the link gets hung up and nothing happens as the connection attempt times out. The printer worked fine for several years until this happened, but I am negatively impressed by Canon's Tech Support. Now it seems that they are charging $19.99 for every time you call Tech Support and ask them how to troubleshoot problems such as this error message. I will re-post if I come upon a successful fix procedure, but don't hold your breath.

planting66
Apprentice

MX420 print head not istalled Uo51

sleepexe
Apprentice

i just want to thank all those in the community that offered fixes.   I have about $100 in ink for my MX922 so I had to try, but alas nothing worked.

Likewise, I would like to thank Canon for their silence on the matter.  That made it an easy decision to buy an Epson ecotank ET-3750.  It included a bathtub of ink, setup and software installation were a breeze, and the first pages just rolled out of it.  No guarantees this experience will be better, I realize that.  But I'm happy to give it a try.

GuzCanon
Contributor
😔 Sadly, Arthur J, it did not work. Thanks for the assist but this printer is being put out to pasture. Sad to say, I will not be getting another Canon. Very disappointed in the printer that failed and the solutions suggested.

GuzCanon
Contributor
Hey Paul Rapley, thanks for your valued input and assist. Luck was not on my side. Unfortunately, reset didn’t work. Sad to hear that this has been going on for so long and Canon does not seem interested to solve the problem that they created. Ironically, I purchased the Canon to replace an HP after quite a lot of years with them. They used to be great and then down hill it went. I am officially giving up on the cartridges and going laser with Brother!
Thanks again Paul for reaching out. Stay well. Maggie

rug_rat
Apprentice

Well, this is depressing. I just wanted to scan some pages and I find the Pixma MG5320 is a brick. Never buying another Canon product. Amazing that this problem goes as far back as 2013 and 7 years later there still is no fix for it. Shame on you Canon. SHAME. Man Mad

Announcements