cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

shaval123
Enthusiast
I joined the classaction and still never got anything for my non-working peinter. It seems to be a lost cause. I am now sticking with HP or Epson since I never had any problems with those.

shaval123
Enthusiast
Canon just doesn't care. I got stuck with a bunch of new ink also. I will never buy another Canon product.

johnjanderson
Apprentice

In the middle of a print job, first few pages printed fine, then got the U052 incorrect print head message. Tried all the tips posted but none worked. Does appear to be a software defect as others are claiming, unresolved for years. Perhaps a poor attempt by Canon to get customers to purchase another printer, but this fails miserably with me because i will never buy another Canon anything, ever. There are just too many other companies selling better products to tolerate Canon, 

RussWebb
Apprentice

Mine is a MP540.

Rendered useless now with this error. Tried everything.

Have now bought an HP Officejet. Sorry Canon, you've lost a lot of Business!

DocMike1911
Apprentice

UO52 error, printer scanner useless.  Was used very little, went to pring my insurance ID cards and now i get an error, googled and found the "cannon fix" still doesnt work,

sml1170
Apprentice

Canon MX922 - error code 1403 - printer rendered useless due to printerhead problem. Tried Canon's supposed fix and nothing works. I hate to get a new printer but if I have to, it will not be a Canon. Seems this is a known issue, seems that Canon should try to get this fixed. 

Baaka22
Apprentice

I am having the same U052 issue with my Canon MG5320 Printer. I have tried resetting the printer head and following Canon's troubleshooting tips to no avail. I even went and bought new ink cartridges and that didn't work either. So now I'm out money for the cartridges to a printer that fails to work.  But I see that I am not alone in this issue and itdoesn't seem like Canon will do anything about it. Please add my name to the list. I will join forces. 

Used to be a Canon fan but no longer. Sayonara Canon. It's time for a more reliable brand.  Deuces. 

wadloper57
Apprentice

My Canon Pixma MP970 (really great photo printer) started showing the U051 and U052 errors after some 8 years of fairly infrequent use. Tried all possible reset options, but the error remains. The printer itself still looks spic and span, is mechanically in order, and as I do not like throwing such a machine out, I am prepared to purchase a new print head..... which is out of production and out of stock. I found some suppliers of a replacement printhead (not original) across the globe. I am happy to spend some money to get it fixed, but I want to be fairly sure that it is indeed working. So my question: does anyone have experience and will this fix the problem?

Thanks! 

shaval123
Enthusiast
Buy a HP. I just did.

My 2nd Canon printer just dropped dead with not recognizing cartridge suddenly. I will never again buy any canon product

pixelpusher84
Apprentice

Owner of a MX922 printer here - got the 1403 code. I didn't change a thing when it happened. It just happened. I'm very knowledable with technical stuff and tried all the suggestions to no avail. 

Nearest "Canon Authorized Repairman" is 2.5 hours away from my home in Savannah, GA. I'm thinking it is cheaper to buy a new printer. And I may get a different brand based on all these replies. 

Is this the ol' U052 code reborn as the 1403? I've had printers that have lasted longer the 3 years. 

Announcements