cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I agree with you, it is difficult and there was a time I didn't believe either, my problem was much greaater than losing a printer, I can't memtin it here, but I will say I had nothing to lose and turned to God and said if you want me to believe then let me know you are really there, you may find this hard to believe and I don't blame you, but I promised God I would help anyone I could by telling them you helped me.  Yes I did have a vision and yes my prayers were answered, so if something is important enough then Please do as I did, and when it happens would you please try to help someone else as I am doing.

God bless you

Jim

@Aardvark wrote:

I quite frankly don't understand how praying to any deity is going to affect a company that only worships the Dollar.  They are happy to trample on their long term customers chasing that goal.

As I was saying to someone else, Canon makes excellent products, but this company has one weakness, service, it isn't only the service but the seemingly arrogant approach is very discouraging. I can not even get to communicate with someone that has authority to make decisions, repairs, supply parts, nothing, I haven't even gotten any formal reply from Canon, the only thing I ever got was a "Canon Satisfaction Survey" and even that failed to work properly and believe it or not this survey gave me an official "Error message"  it seems that Canon thinks all can be fixed or approved by issuing "Error" messages.  As I told others I am praying to God for an answer, I know He listens, and He answers prayer, I will publish the response here I promise when I get it.

God bless

Jim

@CustomerMPsix10 wrote:

My MP610 has served me faultlessly for 8+ years, now this error pops up out of nowhere with no actual fix? Something doesnt sound right.

I've tried everything Canon suggested! Error U052 is obviously a fault built in as it appeared randomly during the process of a print after nothing had been touched. Even detatched from the computer it made the same error. After everything was pulled apart by my print technitian brother who also mentioned to me that not one of these Canon printers that he encounted this error has ever been fixed.

Very disapointed! I had important documents to print off today and now i'm faced with having to buy a new printer...and it wont be a Canon.

Jim, please can you stop pushing your religious beliefs on here? Thanks.

I am sorry and sad that giving people advice that will bring them eternal happiness offends you.  You may or may not have noted every advice I provided points to getting help in solving someone's problem, I pray that someway you may come to understand that this world would be a better place if we loved our neighbor and wanted to help them.  My method of helping people with tractor or machinery problems is not different than a good electrician, mechanic providing help.  Just take a few minutes to think of who created this great world and all the wonderful things in it, surely He knows how to fix anything in it.

If someone can direct me to the conditions and/or restrictions concerning the posts in this forum I will read and abide with their rules.

In the mean time.

God bless you and all

Jim

@thezillionthsue wrote:

Jim, please can you stop pushing your religious beliefs on here? Thanks.

petethepen
Contributor

Guys.  See the posting 3 or 4 above.  There has now been a settlement of the U052 (Printhead) error.  Canon (USA) has agreed to reimburse those who have experienced this problem with $50 cash or a $75 voucher subject to certain conditions.  You can Google Canon inkjet printer settlement or go to this link:  https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/170371-canon-inkjet-printer-class... to get further information for a claim.  Unfortunately, for folk like me who purchased their Canon printer in the UK and have had the problem, there seems to be no settlement forthcoming.

"There has now been a settlement of the U052 (Printhead) error.  Canon (USA) has agreed to reimburse those who have experienced this problem with $50 cash or a $75 voucher subject to certain conditions. "

This is the result of following the link, and clocking the "FILE CLAIM" button.

FILE A CLAIM

The deadline to submit your claim has passed. Any late claims submitted by mail, email or fax will be subject to Court approval.

So happy to get $50 dollars but if you have to have a receipt that you tried to have the print head replaced or repaired you will be out of pocket more than $50. Lawyers win customers not so much.

You don't need the receipt if you registered your product previously on the Canon Website.

In any case I do believe the claim application deadline has passed. If it was extended. you must check the settlement website!

Thanks for your input.  I believe the time has passed also.  I've tried contacting Canon direct giving them details with the error message number U052 and with all the things I tried to correct the problem.  You would think the message I sent them was in some Martian language. They got the error message number wrong B200 and told me what I should try to do to fix the problem which was exctly what I told them I already tried. Too frustrated to continue to attempt to fix this problem.  I will just purchase a new printer/scanner/copier and you can bet it wouldn't be a Canon.  Thanks again.

I received the U052 error a month after the close date for the class action suite. The lawyers encouraged me to apply anyway- which i did. I just received notice that my claim was denied for missing the cut off date. There is no appeals process.

Like the rest of you, i am out a scanner and fax machine and after my interactions with Canon customer service WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CANON PRODUCT AGAIN. This includes their cameras. HP and Nikon here i come. 

Announcements