cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

They insult our intelligence by offering such a ridiculous remedy.  Most of us could buy a new printer for that sort of money.

Happily we are not stupid enough to buy another Canon.

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

dmw16
Apprentice

I have the MX892.  The U052 Error Code about the wrong print head occured today after 1.5 years of using the printer.  I tried all the suggestions.  Nothing worked.  It doesn't sound like there is much hope in spending any more time trying to fix it.

Very disappointing.

there is a class action suit for the u052 code problem started last aug and settles this nov. there are about 37,000 complaints

Wonderful news.

Power to the people!

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

I guess it's not possible to add your name if you are in the UK?

It may be too late anyway.

LCloster
Apprentice

I have this problem, as of two days ago, on a Pixma MX882.  Tried removing the printer head and another proposed fix; both failed.  Please let me know if there's any satisfaction from Canon.  Thanks.

"Welcome" to our new members who are also U052 victims. If you want to know what people have tried in an effort to fix this problem I recommend reading all of the messages that have been posted since this thread was established over 2 years ago. In that time at most a half dozen folks have managed to get their printers working again, but none lasted very long before the code reappeared. The latest gent (waleshead I believe) managed to parlay his techie knowledge to circumvent the issue, and I look forward to hearing how long the fix works before the error code returns.
If the receipt had been hung onto I could have joined the class action suit last year, although the $50 awarded to people who had spent many times more than that on the printers and ink was a pittance. Canon did not have to admit to any possible source or cause of the problem, much less promise to find and fix it.
It has been reported by some here that there are or were a few sympathetic tech reps who admitted
that Canon knew that there was a problem with the printers, but chose not to do anything about it.
I replaced my printer/anchor with an Epson and am pleased as punch with it. Best of all, it works great. I won't buy another Canon printer, and I do make a point of warning potential canon buyers what they are getting themselves into.

yeah i did not have proof of purchase on my Printer either so was not able to get into the class action suit . I have purchased another Printer Brothers got my cash this time. Shame on you Canon to let Loyal People go like this.

There is absolutely NO satisfaction from Canon with this issue.

shaval123
Enthusiast
I agree. I will never buy another Canon product of any kind.
Announcements