cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

junior
Apprentice

hello i have 2 mp650 my print head went south on picture printing so i bought a second hand one on line but it wont print black and white but prints photos good but it gives me an error have to move print heads half way inplug re &re heead and it will work just as long as it stays on, so i  got me a second printer should have avoided this but had loads of refills this one crapped out with u052 error and store says see canon what a friggin joke if i switch the head from machine to machine the error travels with the head CANON FIND A FIX OR REST ASSURED YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER PERSON IN A CLASS ACTION MEAN WHILE WILL KEEP TRYING TO FIND A FIX   THANKS CANON COMMUNITY

Fire91
Apprentice

Yup.  I was just torpedoed and sunk by U052.

Never again, Canon. Never again.

jfs85635
Apprentice
I tried all the recommended "fixes" but nothing worked. Just bought new ink cartridges a week before it quit! Went out and bought an HP. You can bet I will let people know of my experience it Canon doesn't make this right.

MindintoMatter
Apprentice

MG5220 and just got the U052 error. Printer was working great changed all the ink. Followed all the steps to try and fix and now printer is useless.

pebbles3sandi
Apprentice

Exact same problem here. PIXMA MG 5320.

Can't even get a replacement of the same printer anymore! Bought this for just over $100 a little over a year ago, now comparable models are $350!?

This is obviously not a printhead issue and the manufacturer needs to pony up for its consumers. Cannon product users tend to be die hard fans and devoted buyers.... ignoring this problem is just going to cause loss of customer loyalty!

Action for this issue is required or a class action suit will be necessary.

It's as simple as a recall for all printers with this error code and the original printhead.

What a waste of a previously perfectly functionong machine!

nash123
Contributor

Great - mine died today with U052. I have a MX892. Anyone else looking to see what to do since the date has expired?

nash123
Contributor
Lucky for me I found a very gently used 892 for $40, which included a brand new pack of 4 cartridges. Jumped on it. This way I can still use my old cartridges, the new cartridges, and I still have a working printer with a print head that would have cost me at least double that price to buy online.

smaucutt
Apprentice

Yes I have an MP990 and have the dreaded 052 error.  Working to troubleshoot.  So far no fixes.

Help!

Shawn Aucutt

Cola
Apprentice

My Canon MX895 (not in the lists) has the "U052 The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head" error this morning. I have tried all the recommended solutions to no avail. My printer was working perfectly up untill this problem, it has had a fairly light useage since I purchased it 3 years & 2 months ago.

I too have been a long time purchaser of canon printers and cameras, advocating them to my friends and family. I will be telling them all about this problem, the successfull class lawsuit, and the suggestion that it was an intentional money grab.

I will be doing serious research before buying another canon product, If it happens to another canon product I own, I will never buy another.

Is there any hope for refund for those of us who had failures after the closing date in 2015.

addmetothelist8
Apprentice

Add me to the list; 

I flip the printer over to correct an odd paper jam & there ya go, next time I power on the printer U052 staring at me.

Tried the fixes, same sinking ship as everyone else. Can't wait till these wasteful electronics companies are charged for the overabundant e-waste they make that ends up in landfills so quickly.

Announcements