cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

vavesmp500
Apprentice

I too had this problem, and tried the reseating of the head twice... turned off for days and then tried again only to have the same message. This is rediculous, I cannot scan because of a faulty head alert... I also went out and bought new ink cartridges hoping to override and clean the heads or do some kind of maintenance that would help but that did nothing.  I have an MP 500 all-in-one. It has been a great machine but the fact that the whole thing gets bogged down with no way of override is a total manufacturer error.

IS THERE ANY WORK AROUND??

Replacing the printhead, $US30 post free out of HongKong on e-bay restored all functions for me.

Tony B
Hobart, Tasmania

would you mind pointing me to that seller you bought the cheap replacement from?

mine is a MG5100, kinda doubt I will find a printing head for 30USD, heck i couldnt even establish the product number of the printing head i need, so i need to click on every advertisement for a canon printhead.

although you can buy this junk second hand at 32-35 EUR here now, except i wont know how badly the parts are worn.

mine is at least a safe bet.

my next printer will not be a canon that's already a given.

by the way, has canon ever responded to a mass outrage like this?

i mean at least they could say they are sorry, and that they are firing their old engineers for their next series or something. if they cant fix this by firmware.

taking away the scanning function like this that has mechanically nothing to do with printing is in my oppinion a huge violation of consumer law.

They have never even admitted there is a problem.  And according to posters on this thread even their service people won't admit there is a problem.  Hopefully something will be resolved when the class action lawsuit gets to court but these things take years and lots of money to pursue.  Canon probably have their own team of lawyers on the payroll to play the "delaying" game.

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

drebs
Apprentice

I live in Australia and my canon printer is model PIXMA MG5350. I have stated my issues in this forum a few days ago about the dread error U052, what can I do about this as my printer is not on the list nor am I in USA about suing?

We are in the same case!

Same model and I'm in New Caledonia, country in which Canon has no customer service at all...

We just have to cry I think, and buy another brand forever!

Smart thing would be to contact Canon Customer service where you are. Tell them that you are aware of this lawsuit and ask if and when Canon will do similarly there! If they have no plans, it may take a similar Class Action Lawsuit there.

Sorry GuyNamedJoe.

As most Americans, you believe that America is Universal...

But only Studios are!

I repeat: No Canon customer service et no class action possible in New Caledonia!

Full stop

@ fraivert: When I called the Sales Department here in North America and mentioned the lawsuit, they referred me to the settlement website. You may want to call the Customer Service Number out there and ask if they are doing anything for THEIR customers in view of the US Lawsuit Settlement. Otherwise it may take a separate Class Action in your area to motivate Canon. The printer issue is with ALL of the relevant Models! Someone or some group may have already started a similar suit.

Announcements