cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Ok Guys.

There are 2 ways to fix U052.

1.) take out the ink catridges and the printhead, clean the contacts and especially the ink inlets and outlets of the printhead + cartridges.  Mostly it then will work.

2.) Change the printhead. 

Here it gets funny.  Don´t use a new printhead. Preferably, use the printhead from another bricked U052 Printer (f.e. MP600 and MP600R are 100% exchangable).

The printer detects:  "uuh, a NEW printhead, now I will work again! Cudos for paying money to Canon Support and making us all much happier!"

Yep. That´s it. Just exchange the "defect" printhead with another "defect" printhead, make tthus he printer believe "uhhhh, a newly bought fresh printhead",  and there you go!!!

SUMMARY: BUY 2 DEFECT PRINTERS, GET 2 WORKING PRINTERS OUT OF IT!!

Have fun!

Stefan

How many times have you been able to sucessfully use this fix? I'm just wondering if it is really worth the effort of finding another used printhead. Thank you for your help.

You're wasting your time! If it fails on first try, go the settlement route!

could you tell me how to apply for the settlement?

is it available for non-us-citizens?

Go to the website link that I posted previously. The page has a link to the settlement form. Print it out, fill it out and mail, fax or email it to the destination indicated. If you didn't register your printer previously, you will need to submit a proof of purchase. Good Luck!

THe website won´t work with firefox or chrome.

The captcha disappears after 0.5seconds

I used my phone to make a picture, then got onto the next site.

THere i filled out everything (repeated this procedure several times),

it always says Error - Item Missing

I see no way how i can continue.

It DOES work on Chrome. I have tried it. Try accesssing with computer and print it out!

Hello, I have tried but to no avail, how would I go about the settlement way? Thank you for your help.

Here's the link, again! Click on it or cut and paste it to your web browser. Once you get to the webpage, follow the instructions:

http://www.canoninkjetprintersettlement.com/

I agree with you.

The language in the settlement is typical legalese used by corporations in settlement language to avoid opening up added litigation.

This settlement gives you either $50 cash or a $75 voucher toward purchase of Canon Products. The former essentially compensates you for the price of a print head whether you actually bought one or not. This is what the litigants agreed to in court. I doubt additional lawsuits for better remedies would be successful.

Canon hasn't shown me that the problem has been fixed in newer printers. So I decided to take the cash. Everyone needs to make his/her own choice and move on.

Announcements