cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

SteveLyne
Apprentice

I've just had this problem also with my MG5320.  It was working fine yesterday.  Then when I turned it on today, I suddenly got the message, "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head."  What?!  How can it be incorrect after working fine for 2 plus years?  At startup, it nwo also makes a strange clunking sound.  I don't know yet how to remove the print head, so I just tried checking nozzles, then removing and reinstalling the cartridges and restarting the printer a few times.  It appears to be dead and useless. 

And if it's not easily fixable, this will be my last Canon printer. 

Sad to say you will probably have to get another printer, I have the same problem with a MX892, an excellent printer that is now completely useless, I never even got any reply from Canon, I will continue posting until everyone either knows about the service Canon gives, or rather the lack of service. I am very disapointed in so large and capable company leaving so many people stuck with defective printers, I can't believe a company that can produce such a high quality printer can't find a way to keep it working, it would seem they almost want these printers to fail, I can't see how that can help them, surely people read and search on the internet and know the problems and the lack of help people are getting, that sure can't help their sales. Is there a point where you are so large nothing can hurt you?  I know there is one who is watching and He does care what we do to our neighbor, it's like the man said, pay now or pay later, but you're going to pay.  I hope the executives at Canon think about their eternal destination,  I can't judge but I sure wouldn't want to be doing what I think they are doing.  I'll keep them in my prayers.

God bless the executives and those with defective printers, ask God for help, He will.

Jim

Lynn50Nelson
Apprentice

Evidentally I am one of the many owners of a Canon MP600 who have receive the U052 message on the printer screen which has crippled my printer and suddenly it will not print.  Their suggestions to change all the print cartridges and reboot does not work.  What has been the outcome of the Call to Arms?  Guess I will be buying a new printer by a company other than Canon.  Are their other companies related to Canon that I should avoid?

@Lynn50Nelson wrote:

Evidentally I am one of the many owners of a Canon MP600 who have receive the U052 message on the printer screen which has crippled my printer and suddenly it will not print.  Their suggestions to change all the print cartridges and reboot does not work.  What has been the outcome of the Call to Arms?  Guess I will be buying a new printer by a company other than Canon.  Are their other companies related to Canon that I should avoid?

That's a good question, I would like to see a list of printers from companies that give good service and offer a quality printer similar to the MX892 Canon.     I find it hard to believe that all functions of the printer are not working because of a faulty print head, even the message does not make sense, "U052, Wrong Printhead Error"  the print head has not been changed, how could it be the wrong print head?

God bless

Jim

fraivert
Apprentice

I should have read your posts before. When this error occured I just arrived in New Caledonia after buying in Europe for 200$ of new cartridges to survive here during 2 years. Stupidly, I decided then to buy a new original Canon print head which cost me another 100$ to order, bring and clear the customs here...

300$ put in the dustbin today together with my MG5350 bought in JAN13.

For sure, I will never buy Canon anymore, and this will not only apply to printers!

Hope you file your class action and I wish I could participate if I was a US citizen or resident.

Hold on and keep fighting this HUGE FRAUD from a famous brand we've liked so far.

I praise you for joining in this seemingly one sided battle, "David and Golieth" so to speak, but remember don't let this get you down, keep faith and believe this will come to be for the better good, you don't have to buy from Canon, and who know's this may have happened to encourage you not to spend buying again from a company that treats people like ants, something that can be mis-used, a piece of junk, not able to make decisions, but I can see you are a true human being, strong and quite able to make good decisions.  I hope and pray that people keep posting until Canon sees the light, even Canon has a heart deep down inside, though for now it may be cold and frozen.

God bless you and each one willing to see Canon change.

Jim

@fraivert wrote:

I should have read your posts before. When this error occured I just arrived in New Caledonia after buying in Europe for 200$ of new cartridges to survive here during 2 years. Stupidly, I decided then to buy a new original Canon print head which cost me another 100$ to order, bring and clear the customs here...

300$ put in the dustbin today together with my MG5350 bought in JAN13.

For sure, I will never buy Canon anymore, and this will not only apply to printers!

Hope you file your class action and I wish I could participate if I was a US citizen or resident.

Hold on and keep fighting this HUGE FRAUD from a famous brand we've liked so far.

NekosDemon
Apprentice

Sadly my Canon MG5520 printer stopped printing right in the middle of an important project and the dreaded message was... you guessed it, "Wrong Printhead".

I tried everything and so far no luck. I am truly disappointed by finding that I am not alone. I want quality , not disposable.

Our world needs to be cleaned up, not junked up with discarded items that a company has decided not to stand behind.

You are so right, Canon is a huge company that has been blessed with good people working for them, it's too bad, sad really, that those making the decisions today are completely different from the ones who made this Great company, if they continue they will fade away like the rest who did not treat people fairly, unlike days gone by this will happen suddenly and very fast due to the ease with which we can bring this mis-use of power, money and support to the attention of all the world.

God bless all

Jim

@NekosDemon wrote:

Sadly my Canon MG5520 printer stopped printing right in the middle of an important project and the dreaded message was... you guessed it, "Wrong Printhead".

I tried everything and so far no luck. I am truly disappointed by finding that I am not alone. I want quality , not disposable.

Our world needs to be cleaned up, not junked up with discarded items that a company has decided not to stand behind.

Andrewsilk
Apprentice
Can you repost your solution?

Why repost?

Announcements