cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

shaval123
Enthusiast

My Pixma MG5220 was working perfectly and I had just loaded all new ink in it when the dreaded U052 printhead error popped up on my readout. I tried every fix that was available online and through support. In the end support told me I should just buy myself another printer. What kind of answer is that???

This must be a manufactuer problem and I think that Canon should help us out with this.

I just talked to Canon yesterday about the U052 message on my MX892.  It came down to the same thing. After he suggested everything that I had already tried, he gave me the choices of a repair facility or discounted replacement.  The repair would easily exceed the printer value and the discounted replacement was more expensive than Amazon.  So... It's broke and done.  Bummer.  I'll try once more with Canon.  I have had really good luck with their printers until this event.  I've sold several to family and friends that have been successful, so this is the first failure I'm aware of.

shaval123
Enthusiast
There have already been several class action lawsuits over this issue. I wish I knew earlier.

Me too. But my printer just had this issue last week. befor I fully trust Canon product and didn't knew that many model of canon printer all had the same problem untill I found out yesterday on this webside.  But I already bought another canon MG7520 printer two days ago. I hope this Issue will not happen again.

gerschwiler
Apprentice

ME TOO

My friend bought an MP600R on the basis of my satisfaction with my new MP600R a while back.  Recently his 5BGK  (the fat black) cartridge decided to stop working.  The cartridge had been in regular use and was more than half full. The printhead appeared ok.  Anyway he could not use his printer at all and gave it to me.  

Recently my printer decided to do the same thing - it refused to recognise the 5BGK cartridge and will not print.  A nozzle check pattern test prints the 4 small colors B,M,C,Y  fine  clear and sharp  no errors at all  but NO sign of the fat black cartridge printing anything... 

So I thought I would fit his print head in my printer   WRONG PRINTHEAD   apart from a letter B stamped on one they appear totally identical. They both looked clean - no visible signs of damage.

So it looks as though the printer has suddenly taken exception to the printhead. Now  what was a great and versatile printer can now only print colour (plus scan   copy colour  etc)  It can no longer print text. I have downloaded fresh software completely cleansed pc of old software inc registry and all folders etc  I was working for several hours thro last night because instinctively I feel it is a firmware or software problem  not a hardware problem. I did a factory reset.  No firmware update is available.

Why should a device suddenly fail in this catastrophic way with no sign opf mechanical damage???  It is NOT due to empty cartridge  not due to dried out ink   not due to dried out print head  (both print heads have been gently cleaned and show an excellent nozzle check pattern for the 4 small cartridges.

So after last night I am more convinced than ever that there is a serious design defect

OR has there been an OS  update that corrupted the printer.  I have tried several different computers  Win7 Pro  win8  etc - makes no difference.  At least I can print colour  but not b/w text documents  not even gray scale.  If I could fit a new printhead and be assured it would work I would do that but I am NOT convinced that is the problem.  I believe the problem is in the system that controls operation of the printhead  and it is this system that has suddenly failed...

Once again it is the sudden nature of the fault that puzzles me as though a component in the printer failed  AND judging by the many others who share this experience it appears to be a design flaw.

If it was an indifferent product I would wash my hands of it and forget it  but the MP600 was an EXCELLENT and compact printer which I am sad to see pensioned off....

You're not the only one, I really liked my MX892 but like you it worked perfectly one minute and had a bad print head the next, from using one day and dead the next. I like you suspect there is more to this than a worn out print head. I think we should encourage Canon to make good or users to stay away from Canon until they at least try to correct this problem, it may not be there fault, it could be some virus made by someone that wants to hurt Canon but if Canon refuses to even acknowledge this problem then Canon is not acting in good faith, I notice this has been going on for about 2 years, that is long enough, it should be corrected by now.
I'll say a prayer for Canon.
God bless
Jim

rsteenbrink
Apprentice

Same issue here. Canon MG5350.

Was very happy with the device overall, but this is unacceptable. I don't even print that much, I will be calling Canon today and ask them to offer me solution, me taking all the cost of buying a new printer is not one of them.

So far, I tried cleaning as per instructions, taking out all the relevant items and shutting down for a while. No luck..

Good luck, they offered me to sell a replacement machine at a 'discount' price. When i looked it up on Amazon, they were discounting the machine ONE DOLLAR.

Fromjim
Enthusiast

I have the same problem, Canon simply gives me the same stock reply, trying to make it hard enough that we will give up trying to get compensation, or at the very least a good trade in value, I also believe Canon to be one, if not the best printer manufacturers and I want to be able to buy again from Canon with confidence, Canon can do it, I thought they would by now, I will not give up until they do.

God bless, say a prayer for Canon

Jim

I bought a Brother MFC J-470.  I've only had it a few weeks but so far so good.

Announcements