cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Unless you have an insanely expensive model (not sure there are any that are having these issues) it never makes sense to buy printheads let alone printheads and a cleaning kit. You can get a very good all in one these days for $100 or even less on sale.  I got one that is $200 retails for $75 after a sale and a rebate last month from another brand.

Then, you have a brand new warranty plus the double warranty from your credit card, so you're good for at least another 2 years.

I couldn't agree more.  However, the problem is that I need a back loading printer to print 110# cardstock for my invitation business.  I loved my MG 5320 and I have a MG 6220 also.  They make beautiful print outs and handle very heavy cardstock.  I have bought HP and Epson and they do not work for me.  So I was trying to save my favorite printer.

Do you mean you researched this function and got ones from hp and epson that said they did it, and they didn? Or just that you got printers from those brands before and they did't happen to have that function?

I think this would be a relatively easy feature to find, even at a bit more but still well worth it. I would return those things you bought asap and put that $ towards something new (non Canon!)

Although I sympathise with you, if you had taken the time to read all the posts in this thread you would have discovered that wasting money on a new printerhead does not cure the problem. Canon know this and continue to rake in money from the poor unfortunate souls who think this will fix it. There should be some sort of legal way to get your money back from what must constitute misleading or fraudulent practice by Canon.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

MG5320 - rarely used. Bought it two years ago. Generally worked great.....a few days ago I got the dreaded U052 error....I could live with that. Now it doesn't even power on. I bought third party ink from ebay....worked fine. Maybe it caused an issue. No idea. Lesson learned....never buying ANY printer again.

ksturdi
Apprentice

Count me in with the thousands of others getting this U052 Print Head error.  I just spoke to Canon Customer Serivce Rep who confirmed that I had done all the right things -  unplug for 10 - 15 minutes (serveral times) and reseat the printhead several times.  He said that something isn't correctly communicating with the printhead. The only solution would be to take it into a Canon authorized repair shop for service.  When he looked for service there wasn't a repair shop to be found within 100 miles of my zip code.  I too am annoyed that I have a lot invested in ink that I cannot use.  I just bought a new laptop and could have gotten a new printer at a deep discount if I had known this thing was going to die.

I hope and pray people who have lost a perfectly good printer for no apparent reason keep writing, when Canon sees the millions of emails with negative comments they are going to have to change their mind and help us, either that or some smart lawyer is going to see how much money he can make repesenting us and helping bring this cause to justice.  In the mean time please pray to God for help, He knows the truth and will help us.

God bless

Jim

@ksturdi wrote:

Count me in with the thousands of others getting this U052 Print Head error.  I just spoke to Canon Customer Serivce Rep who confirmed that I had done all the right things -  unplug for 10 - 15 minutes (serveral times) and reseat the printhead several times.  He said that something isn't correctly communicating with the printhead. The only solution would be to take it into a Canon authorized repair shop for service.  When he looked for service there wasn't a repair shop to be found within 100 miles of my zip code.  I too am annoyed that I have a lot invested in ink that I cannot use.  I just bought a new laptop and could have gotten a new printer at a deep discount if I had known this thing was going to die.

If you have been praying to God for Canon to properly compensate all these people for the loss of their printers, it doesn't seem to have worked, does it?

I am not a Christian, and I find your constant pushing of your faith on here quite offensive.

Amen to that!     Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Could be God calling you, He loves all people, Christian only means you believe in Jesus Christ.

God works in His time not mine, if you would like examples I can give you many.

I'll pray for you.

God bless

Jim

@thezillionthsue wrote:

If you have been praying to God for Canon to properly compensate all these people for the loss of their printers, it doesn't seem to have worked, does it?

I am not a Christian, and I find your constant pushing of your faith on here quite offensive.

Announcements