cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

"Artchic6- And i just noticed that just on your not that 120 people had this issue. That is RIDICULOUS! We should file a class action suit. " Far more than 120 people have posted about this..............and there already is at least one class action lawsuit in progress. Google it for full info.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Thanks Aardvark. I appreciate the info. In the meantime I may have to get a new printer 😞 

efowle1
Apprentice

I have an MP640 

(not listed in the OP on the first page)

Same problem: U052 error.  Some searching around online brings-up tutorials on how to clean a Canon printhead, but some other notes suggest something about heating elements being burnt-out, a damage which is irreparable and only "fixed" by getting a whole new printer.  I don't know if this is "Planned Obsolescence" by Canon in order to sell more printers (or to sell more extended warranties), but if it is, Canon's reputation will take a huge negative hit on their reliability.

So, another question *I* have is: For the scanning job I want to do right now, I don't even care if the printhead is working! Why can't I get passed this error on the menu so I can scan my documents? Every thing else is working, right??? Honestly, I don't use the printer that much, and I've only had need to replace the ink cartrages twice since I bought the thing.

Of course, Canon is known for bringing us CHEAP products.  I should have learned when my Digital Rebel Camera went bad, like clockwork, after 2500 photos. Canon has a cheap spring between their optical mirror and their focusing mirror that just doesn't hold up. It costs about $250 to replace a dumb little spring, and of course you'll have to pay for the shipping and wait several weeks for it to be repaired. But HEY! Lucky you! You can just buy a brand new one for $450! Stupid me... I DID! I bought another Digital Rebel and THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED after the same number of photos!!!  So I thought I'd go more professional and bought a 20D... same **bleep** story, man... at least I had a warranty on the 20D, but then the stupid lens went bad! If it's not one thing with Canon, it's another!

So I jumped-ship and finally bought a Nikon SLR camera in 2008, I've shot COUNTLESS photos with it for SEVEN YEARS now, and the thing is STILL going strong! I will definitely buy another Nikon camera. I probably should look into a Nikon printer, now, too!

It all just seems so wasteful... on so many levels. First you have to throw-away all the parts of what should be a very nice working item! It's bad enough that their sub-quality printhead won't work, but now I have to throw-away a perfectly good scanner along with it! Second, you have to take the TIME to run to the store to shop around for a NEW one!... right at a time when you need to get a job done! So you have to waste time AND gasoline while you're falling behind on your work, just so you can go blow even MORE money on a crappy printer that you KNOW will only screw you again very soon!

How could anything be more dissatisfying?

Unfortunately, I've had the same bad luck with Epson scanners. They crap-out on you when it seems like you just bought it... and you have to junk a very nice looking "box" with a perfectly good scanner just so they can dip into your wallet again and again. You buy the thing feeling great about it, and then the company you patronized turns around and sticks it in your ear. It all feels so underhanded and dishonest.

I have also received this dreaded message on the MP600, after having bought over $100 worth of ink that is not compatible with a lot of the newer products.

79 pages of users with the same error on this one thread alone and still no fix.

I'm also left with a load of ink cartridges which aren't compatible with my new (Epson) printer.

Worried to see the comments about Epson above, btw Smiley Sad

ed-be
Contributor
Try# stupidU502errorcode on twitter.

ed-be,  you said "Try #stupidU502errorcode on twitter", but  there's nothing posted on twitter re that hashtag?

I ended up returning my MX892 to Costco, even though it was past their 2 yr return policy date.  I figured, let the big guys take this on.  I did NOT replace it with a Canon, and would warn any of my friends to avoid Canon at all costs until they start offering some valid customer service and fix this issue!    Loving my new EPSON!

moodych
Apprentice

My Pixma MX892 Canon printer is about a year old and has been used very little. All of a sudden we're getting this U052 code. I've tried a number of "fix it" leads found on the internet... unplugging the power source for 5-10 min, removing the ink and printer head and rinsing the printer head and reinstalling it, etc. Nothing has worked. Very disappointed in this product.

Welcome to the Canon printer Owner's Club!
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.
Announcements