cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get an HP tomorrow! I'm sorry that I purchased a Cannon for my classroom. I guess I should start saving up to replace that printer too. Thanks for all your support Cannon!

elleboivin
Apprentice

New printer with limited printing needs and this "dreaded U052 wrong printhead error" has happened to me too. I have followed the youtube clips and instructions on cleaning the old ink. To no avail. What is my next step because I don't have the resources to go and purchase a new printer. Thanks for your help.

If it's new, is it not still under guarantee?

If it's under a year - they will replace it. Honestly - at the risk of it happening again, I'd sell the replacement and get another brand with the $.

Another option is your credit card return/purchase protection (usualy within 90 days only) OR extended warranty program which adds one year, but that should only be if Canon won't help of ir you are between year 1 and 2 for the ext. warranty option.

If your printer is out of waranty, you are stuck. There is nothing you can do apart from start saving up for a new (NOT CANON) printer. Any remedy suggested by Canon will involve you spending more than the cost of a new printer.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

skhenry2747
Apprentice

I have a Canon PIXMA MP960 with the UO52 error stating I have an incorrect print head.  Is there any fix?

You need to dip into the previous 80 pages of comments. There is no fix. Even buying a new printer head for $100 won't fix it!
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Apparently not....other than repair which will cost the price of a new printer. I have abandoned my MP600R & decided to give Epson a try. Sad but there you are.

No. Short & sweet answer.

Mamagull
Contributor

Here we are - this forum is now 16 months old, has 820 messages and uncounted people totally pissed off.  One thing that I've noticed is how frequently the error message has appeared just after new ink cartridges are installed.  Could there be a connection?  Gouge us for the ink, then double or nothing after that.  HOW unproffessional, narrow-minded and money-grubbing.

I have 2 dead Canon printers (one my husband's, the other mine), both of which were less than 2 years old when the U052 message appeared.  I deeply resent that I have spent a small fortune on ink cartridges that can't be returned and can't be used anywhere else, I also resent that Canon has no honorable answer for any of us.

I warn anyone that I see looking at Canon printers in the store - shoppers and clerks alike.  There has to be something else that can be done.......... 

Announcements