cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

At least two class action lawsuits reported in the states.  Perhaps Canon will do something?  Not buying nor recommending any  Canon product until 'something' is done by and at the expense of Canon

I haven't updated firmware, and to the best of my knowledge my printer is not connected to the internet (unless it connects automatically when it connects to my laptop) so I don't understand how I suddenly have the same problem as everybody else.

My printer is six years old.but it was expensive and I would have hoped it would have lasted, being what I thought was a reliable make Cat Sad

Count yourself lucky to get nearly 6 years use out of your printer. Quite a few people get the "call to landfill" error message barely out of the first year waranty. Mine lasted about 18 months and had probably done less than 50 or 60 copies. I'll never buy another Canon product of any type.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Yeh I do count myself lucky - ish.

Doubt I will be buying Canon again either, except I have a load of f-ing compatible cartridges which I bought in bulk. But then they probably won't fit other Canon printers anyway GRRRR

wiredefx
Enthusiast
A new printhead does not fix this issue. Read the previous posts.

So sorry. No I did not read all who came before me so thanks for for psting (again) that a new printhead wont work. Also, though I tested them,) some of the email addresses I posted arent working as I did get some back from postmaster. Guess I didnt wait long enough for the reject. In any event, it appears they have removed my post. I'll try to post some technical blog address but they can probably "blacklist" me to prevent firther postings on the website. Still I am appalled at their response (and not printing) !!

Lynscorner, thanks for posting those email addresses, anyway.

I had copied and pasted them before they were removed Smiley LOL

Same here. I copied them and wrote to them all. I have saved them to pass around my circle of friends and on any forum I visit from now on.

Odd... They watch this forum closely (my repost of the email addresses came down almost immediately) yet offer NOTHING in terms of actual solutions much less addressing the bottom line. For a culture that prides itself on honor and 'face' the Canon approach to our concerns is to ignore that there is a problem. Those who have posted here must represent the tip of the proverbial iceberg; it would be interesting to know how many printers Canon has manufactured and sold. My personal opinion is that the Canon printer division is run by spineless cowards.

We can only assume that the culture of honor has been tainted by the culture of commercial gain. But I feel they have shot themselves in the foot with this bogus error trick. Canon's once respected product image has been irreparably damaged. So many of the posts above mention they will never buy another Canon product, including the lucrative photographic range! I also had a post removed. I posted a link to a photo of my MP560 after taking a sledgehammer to it. The post was instantly deleted. Perhaps they use automatic software to locate and delete a post that has an email address or web address. If so perhaps disguising it somehow would avoid detection.
Announcements