cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Tried it, doesn't work.

ahramsey73
Apprentice

Have had model MG5320 for about two years.  This is the first time I've gotten the U052 error. 

I was given three ways to try to fix the problem: 1) reboot, 2) remove and re-seat the existing printer head, or 3) contact Canon Support.  First two didn't work so gonna try the last.  From all the history on this issue, it seems like #3 should be the first and only option.  We'll see.

As dozens of previous poster have stated...................option #3 doesn't get you anywhere. Beware of buying another printhead. It won't cure the fault. Also beware of a small "discount" they offer you. You can find it cheaper online anyway.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

vmann57
Apprentice

I have a MG5320 used 10 times now showing a U052 error. Have tried everything was working fine, nothing has been changed.

I removed the printhead and washed it very very thoroughly and let it dry very very thoroughly, then replaced it.

I installed all completely new cartridges (had them already, and if I can't fix the printer they'll be useless anyway).

I don't get the Wrong Printhead Error message any more, but now the printer won't print at all and I get an error message about  the printhead alignment failing or something, which the printer won't do on the auto setting, and as it won't print I can't do it manually either   Smiley Mad

I've given up. I went out yesterday and bought a new printer. An Epson Smiley Very Happy

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Another post deleted. How pathetic.

Who deleted it, Canon?

It was no worse than any others on here!

The poster said he'd bought a second hand Canon from eBay after having problems with a new Epson printer he bought to replace his dead Canon, why would Canon delete that?

ckison
Apprentice

I'm having the same issue "wrong printhead error".  I took out printhead and washed with warm water, but it didn't help.

My printer is only 1 year and 4 mos old 😞

Anyone find success with another method?

Has anybody had any joy with getting an answer from Canon about all these people with the same issue??

I think it's disgraceful.

Announcements