cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

To most of us who have posted on this problem already consider Canon to be garbage.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Has anyone at Canon ever told anyone on this discussion board what the actual problem is?  Is this a hardware or software problem?

Apart from a few pathetic attempts at a replacement or (fake) discount on another unit they are just ignoring our public pleas. Maybe they hope the problem will just "go away".
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

meyerhd
Apprentice

Thanks for posting this potential fix.
I tried it. It did not eliminate the U052 error on my MP530.

Thanks for posting, meyerhd. Tried it on my Pixma MP610, over 5 years old, with the sudden U052 error; it did not work.

When I put the ink cartridge (the big "5" PGBK one) in the holder (the black plastic print head), the red light starts blinking immediately, while the printhead is still in the middle of the carriage. So I don't understand how the U052 could be caused by something under the far right of the carriage (where the printhead goes after you close the cover). Maybe there are multiple causes of this error.

My printhead has some kind of pad under the black plastic holder, kind of enclosed by that brown plastic ribbon cable that wraps around the back and bottom of the printhead. It appears to be soaked with black ink -- same color as the blinking cartridge. So it seems possible that the printhead has a crack or something that shorted out the electronics -- except that other posters here said that replacing the printhead did nothing. Sigh.

EyedocG
Apprentice

Add me to the list of disgruntled victims of the U052 Error Message.  My Pixma MX892 is about 2 years old, and has received only light use during that time.  Any solutions (other than a heave from a cliff) would be welcome.

I wheeled out the garbage can to the street this week with my useless Canon MX892 printer in it.

The worst part of it isn't the money lost as a result of this gross incompetence, but the waste of natural resources.  It sickens me.  My carbon footprint didn't seem very light, but having it hauled away in the garbage truck did provide a sense of closure.

My new HP printer is functioning very well, and I hope to enjoy years of use with it.

Some ideas:

REMEMBER - if you paid with your Credit card, and you're before 2 years from purchase date, your CC will provide warranty usually. Just about all cards offer this these days

If not, sell for parts. Lots of people will buy this either to try and fix or use for parts, get a little cash and recycle this way 🙂

My new HP 8610 is up and running and is beautiful - some great new features and looks sleek. Very happy! AND got it for an amazing price which is less than one Canon ink head probably lol

Announcements