cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

hilcoklinkert
Apprentice

The U052 error message appeared right after I solved another problem: the entire thing (Canon PIXMA MP610) would not start anymore. It seemed to get no juice, even though power was attached and OK, and USB also fine. I disconnected all cables, waited half an hour, reconnected cables, and presto: it came to live again upong pressing the ON button.

Only to be slapped in the face by this U052 error message, stating that 'the print head was not correct'. This was weird because printing was swell before, no problems. I checked cartridges and even replaced one that was 'almost' empty, but that didn't fix it. I stayed away from some online instructions that suggested to 'clean' the contact points on the cartridges and/or inside the printer – I didn't think that would be such a good idea.

I decided to:

1. Download and install the newest driver software from the Canon website (for me it was this one: http://www.canon.nl/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_series/... but for your situation you may need to look for another version)

2. Remove the printer from the list through the Mac System Preferences

3. Disconnect the printer and restart my MacBook Pro

4. Add the printer again through the Mac System Preferences (somehow the 'old' listing was still there, I removed it again)

5. Tried to print, and .... my trusted MP610 (bought in 2008) was just that again, it works like a charm 🙂

So there you have it, I hope it helps some of you. Good luck!

Hilco

This is encouraging - but you are evidently a Mac user. I will be looking to see if a similar work around can be found for the Windows environment. Gonna experiment with my MP610, which I will not dispose of until this issue is resolved, one way or another.

kathryncnm
Apprentice

When i called to ask for a voucher/coupon to replace all the ink i wasted trying to troubleshoot, i was told they could not do this, BUT: that if i replaced the malfunctioning printer with another by calling their Canon Loyalty Program, they would 1) reduce the price by 20% (haven't checked prices to see if this is really a deal), and 2) after i received the new printer if i called and gave them the serial number, they would send out another set of inks.

Have not decided yet if i will forgive Canon enough to try another printer, but am considering it. 

Be careful.  I did this and got the same result with the second Canon printer, with upgraded model number -- early U052 and quick end to the printer. 

mtreiser
Apprentice

I've been deailing with B200 then U052 flip flop for days now.  Done all the suggested procedures and nothing.

Stuck now with U052 error.  If Canon is helping us out, then I would like same.  Just bought new ink too !  looked up the price of the print head and with ink and print head costs I could have bought a new printer!!!!!  Please someone help me I need to print ASAP!  thanks!!

forgot to say my printer model...MX860 and add me to the list as well if one gets filed

Also went shopping for new printer and was hoping there was a Canon that still used the 200/221 ink cartridges that I still have lots of, and seems Canon dreams up new cartridges with every new printer model. Was really hoping for a "Air" printer (to print from apple devices) what used same ink that I have... guess that is asking too much

adamcruz
Apprentice

well add me to the list, after owning my mg5220 for about a year, i have printed out about 100 pages, the printer sits mostly and never really gets used. i was shocked to get a error for ink, so i figured no big deal, after spending 90 dollars on new ink, i was even more shocked to get the u052 error code. i followed the procedure for un-installing and reinstalling with no luck..

seems like such a scam, i am very disappointed. i guess i will now have to buy another brand as i don't want this happening again.

My last 2 canon printers told me the same and I was told it was because I had once used compatable ink cartridges these where from a well known store and I didn't like the colours of photo's they printed so after they had run out went back to canon but you will find it is cheaper to by new printer than order new printhead I have now given up the canon saga and moved to Epson

Juljoh
Contributor
Thanks again troyboy and ardvark. That's it then . I am off to buy another brand printer. Not persisting with this. Cheers

The main thing I use my printer for is photo,s and printing on CDs or DVDs It's great when the Grandchildren see their photo on the CD I also like the front loader for the paper.After 3 dud canon I don't want really want another ,does anybody know another make that will do the same things.  

Announcements