cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

videodude
Contributor

Lowered my standards and called Canon Sales, per the Tech Support email.  I spoke with a CSR (I won't post the name, she was doing her job) who first offered me an MG2550, which is a total piece of crap.  Then she offered me an IP8720, which has individual ink tanks (instead of a combined color tank like the 2550) at 25% off Canon list, with free shipping for $224.99.  I told her the same printer was the SAME price with free shipping on Amazon Prime, and all she said was "We don't compete with official Canon retailers".  I told her she could put that where the sun doesn't shine (in a nice way, it wasn't her fault).

Canon Tech Support basically told me that the U052 error is endemic to the print engine that is in most of the affected printers, and it IS NOT the print head, and IS NOT the waste ink reservoir.  When pressed to identify if the issue is the main board or the firmware, they rapidly changed the subject and WOULD NOT answer the question, but OBVIOUSLY know the answer and have been told to CLAM UP.

This is a manufacturing and design defect, pure and simple.  I will join the class action and take my chances.  My old, DEAD, Canon is in a box, with ALL my BRAND NEW ink tanks waiting for an outcome.  My i560 was easy to use, easy to change ink tanks, made gorgeous photo prints, and was perfect for my needs in every way.  And now, because of Canon's bad engineering and software, is so much junk.  If my printer was a car, the FTC would help.  But it's "just a throw away printer", so no one but us cares.  BS.

A bad product is a bad product is a bad product.  And if a company makes one, they MUST make more.  This isn't a fluke of nature.

I hear what you are saying about "bad products". But Canon does not have a history of making bad products. This is not to say they will never put out another bad product, but what is reprehensible is the way they refuse to acknowledge what seems to me a major error, and write off the 10-15% disgruntled customers, while the rest will continue to satisfy their profits.

I would join a class action suit - if I knew how-where-when, etc. My MP610 sits on the floor awaiting some kind of resolution - I won't discard it for now - it is evidence.

I will agree that Canon (and Sony, and Panasonic, and Nikon, and Olympus, etc.) does NOT have a history of making bad products.  But the BIG difference is that the other take care of their customers when an issue is discovered.  Canon seems content to be willing to ignore their customer base and insult them with offers to buy new product at unsatisfactory prices to replace failed and unrepairable product.

I didn't intend to infer that Canon's products were bad, but their "after the sale service" and support is woefully lacking.  I used to work for Sony; we would NEVER have done this to a customer.  Even an out-of-warranty customer.  When you make a customer happy, he renews his "marriage vows" with you and Brand Loyalty is retained.  The cost of warranty "service" is far outweighed by profit from future sales and customer good will.  Canon doesn't get that.

Juljoh
Contributor
I might add that I have always purchased the correct canon ink wells and never ever bought substitutes. And I do not print often at all it is more the photocopier on the printer that I use. Hence I find the print error even more puzzling. So I can't figure out why this error started. I just cannot get rid of the error

So here is the response I received from Canon.

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I understand that the PIXMA MX892 is experiencing a U052 error. I'm eager to help you correct this problem.

The U052 error indicates that the printer cannot communicate with the print head. I see that you've already reseated the print head. As the error persists, the MX892 will require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price, and with free FedEx Ground shipping. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Like many others in the hundreds of postings above, you will find that the special price they offer you can be easily beaten at many retailers. This illustrates just how much Canon cares about their reputation.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

djvalder
Apprentice

Mee too.. Ive had the printer since mat 2013 so less than to years. I printed one document - a two page email -  just fine then went to print another - another one page email and it didn;t print and i have the u052 error.

I ahve removed cleaned and replaced the print head and ink pods to no avail. 

I read that ordering the very expensive genuine canon ink pods may fix the problem .. Has anyone here tried that with any success?  Sine they cost almost as much as a new printer i'm not so sure that's the right solution...

Don't waste your money. It won't work. Hundreds of people have got this in-built error after using nothing but genuine Canon inks. Cut your losses and buy a new printer (NOT CANON).
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Thanks for the reply.. such a shame i bought canon because I use their camaras and have always been delighted,

It seems, to me,  to be a frimware problem not hardware so should be an easy fix if canon would take it seriously and stop sending out the clean and reset your print heads .. oh well i'll have t bite the bullet because i can't do without a working printer...

Doyou know if the suggested lawsuit came to anything?    

Artchic6
Apprentice

I seriously could not agree more. I've not printed 100 pieces of paper and got the dreaded U052 error - called Canon and they basically brushed it off and made me an offer of 20% off my next purchase. They said that it must be broken but when i told the guy that I've been reading about it a LOT on the internet and said this is a bigger issue of your products not being made well, he got jerky with me. That's helpful. 

And i just noticed that just on your not that 120 people had this issue. That is RIDICULOUS! We should file a class action suit. 

BTW, my printer is MP610 

Announcements